Suppressor Zero Issue

badkarma6

I recently got a 7.62 suppressor and I run it on a Browning X-Bolt in .308. The suppressor is a Daniel Defense DD Wave. The difference in zero with the suppressor on the rifle and off is significant. When I attach the suppressor I have to dial up the elevation 8 MOA and adjust windage 2 MOA left. That’s for a 100 yard zero.

Is this normal? Other folks with suppressors for rifles, do you have to make that much of an adjustment when you attach it?

I have experience with several models and while that one does sound like it requires a lot of adjustment, I wouldn’t worry about it as long as it’s repeatable, meaning it’s the same amount of adjustment every time you mount it to the rifle.

I recently got a 7.62 suppressor and I run it on a Browning X-Bolt in .308. The suppressor is a Daniel Defense DD Wave. The difference in zero with the suppressor on the rifle and off is significant. When I attach the suppressor I have to dial up the elevation 8 MOA and adjust windage 2 MOA left. That’s for a 100 yard zero.

Is this normal? Other folks with suppressors for rifles, do you have to make that much of an adjustment when you attach it?

No, that much change in POI in not normal.

Is it consistent? Mine is .5mrad high and .5mrad right with suppressor on. Very consistent though. Always the same. If it is not the same every time you use it there is definitely an issue. If it is the same that seems like a ton, probably worth calling the suppressor manufacturer at the very least.

I did a write up a while back with my suppressor. Post 36 should apply to what you're looking for:

FWIW, I’ve had the most trouble with QD silencers and sporting rifles. QDs seem to prefer heavy barrel profiles that I don’t care to haul around in the field.

I suggest spending a lot of time at the range with it to determine if the mount repeatability and accuracy are consistent, especially from cold shot to second or third shot. If you had to use a number of shims for timing the QD brake, you might take it to a gunsmith with a lot of experience in this area to check the mount. You can unknowingly stack tolerances and cause issues. (I’m not suggesting that you don’t know what you’re doing, please understand.)

I’ve basically given up on hunting rifles and QD suppressors. I’ve not found one that’s truly consistent. I save the QD models for the AR types and have a SiCo Harvester for a couple of CA Ridgelines with carbon barrels. No more problems.

Lastly, here’s a product that has helped me significantly with suppressed rifle testing.

My .338 shoots about 10” high consistently at 100 yards when I shoot without my Silencerco attached.

Depends on the gun that I'm using my Specwar 762 can on. On a heavy barreled 300, or 308, it was within 2 inches vertically and horizontally, but with my 18" Ruger Gunsite Scout, it's off by 4 or more inches, horizontally.

FWIW, I’ve had the most trouble with QD silencers and sporting rifles. QDs seem to prefer heavy barrel profiles that I don’t care to haul around in the field.

I suggest spending a lot of time at the range with it to determine if the mount repeatability and accuracy are consistent, especially from cold shot to second or third shot. If you had to use a number of shims for timing the QD brake, you might take it to a gunsmith with a lot of experience in this area to check the mount. You can unknowingly stack tolerances and cause issues. (I’m not suggesting that you don’t know what you’re doing, please understand.)

I’ve basically given up on hunting rifles and QD suppressors. I’ve not found one that’s truly consistent. I save the QD models for the AR types and have a SiCo Harvester for a couple of CA Ridgelines with carbon barrels. No more problems.

Lastly, here’s a product that has helped me significantly with suppressed rifle testing.

This might be the problem. I’m running a quick detach muzzle brake on the rifle rather than a direct thread. The gun is a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon that does not have a heavy barrel. The Daniel Defense QD system is a bit oversized for the barrel’s diameter. When it comes to how a QD system can affect accuracy, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. This is my first suppressor so I’m new to this. My local gunsmith put on the QD and said he knew how to do it. Maybe not.

I did a write up a while back with my suppressor. Post 36 should apply to what you're looking for:

Thanks. That was helpful. I’ve just got to get it out more and shoot and make determination if the POI shift is repeatable. If not, I’ll have to leave it attached or ditch it.

I intend to use it for whitetail hunting on my family farm. It’s a horse farm and there is a lot of horseback riding and the suppressor is really intended to be a safety mechanism to prevent against scaring a horse with a rider on it.

Thanks. That was helpful. I’ve just got to get it out more and shoot and make determination if the POI shift is repeatable. If not, I’ll have to leave it attached or ditch it.

I intend to use it for whitetail hunting on my family farm. It’s a horse farm and there is a lot of horseback riding and the suppressor is really intended to be a safety mechanism to prevent against scaring a horse with a rider on it.
Yeah no problem. I'm in the same boat as you, when I did that write up the rifle in question was primarily on a western/backpacking rifle. Hence the conclusion I came to was the suppressor was to much of a PIA for that application. I put the Harvester on a ar 223 and have been very happy with that setup. Also I recently purchased a 450 Bushmaster that I will probably suppress as well as it will be mainly for Iowa farms. Anyway good luck to you.

From my experience, that is about normal for such a heavy (probably around 20oz with the muzzle device) can on a light profile barrel. My first hunting suppressor set up was a AAC 762SDN6 (22oz with QD) on a medium profile Savage LRH, and it needed lots of elevation and some windage to rezero. In my next few setups, I've used dramatically lighter cans (12oz with mount), on Proof barrels, and have had minimal POI shift. Other than some .22 rifle setups, my experience has shown me that there will always be some POI change, that is why I leave my cans on my hunting rifles.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back