Supposed "food shortages" in America and higher food prices. How do they affect hunting?

TomTeriffic

Is this situation driving YOU to hunt even more than usual? Are more Americans now going to take up hunting to get meat? It's a tricky question. Higher gasoline prices may deter some from outdoor activities also.

I have thought about this some. Hunting isn’t really cheap, but it can be done fairly inexpensively for some.

If I wanted to go the cheap route I can get 6 deer tags, 2 turkey tags, small game, fishing including recreational gear (trotline, set line, nets, traps, etc.) and my trapping license for $125 dollars. Given the fact that I live 5 miles south from 30,000 acres of public land and 5 miles north of 68,000 acres of public land and also live across the road from a river with a private boat ramp I could keep fuel costs low.

The most limiting factor is time for me.

With all that said, I am definitely planning on filling at a minimum my 4 Louisiana doe tags ithis year, and being a little less choosey on the bucks I am shooting as well. Filling all of my 6 Louisiana tags is something I haven’t done in 5 years. I had a run of 21 years where I tagged out every year and I never remember any of that meat going to waste. I may as well maximize the monetary value of my hunting license with meat prices getting so high.

I can’t help but feel like a lot of other folks are feeling the same way.

Last edited:
Food shortages?? Higher prices for gas and food (and everything else)?! What happened to Build Back Better?!
America has a serious case of Bidenitis. There might come a point in time where folks will take food, livestock and game outside of the realm of law and regulation depending upon how rotten things really get.

We have access to great salmon fishing n moose hunting. Black bear if it's the right one. Berry fed black. We also started our rabbitry up again. 4 does n 1 buck. Put up 300 pounds. We barter other wild game n seafood. Raise a big garden n pick berries.
We're blessed to have access to the fish n game that we have around us. To me it helps feel a bit more secure.
Unfortunately it's not just food that is in short supply. The supply chain is in short supply for everything.
Time to keep it simple

Not for me. But I am lucky. I walk outside and hunt whatever I need. Not concerned about shortages. Another reason for anyone who has the ability to buy land.

Is this situation driving YOU to hunt even more than usual? Are more Americans now going to take up hunting to get meat? It's a tricky question. Higher gasoline prices may deter some from outdoor activities also.
I can't really foresee people taking up hunting just to offset expensive groceries unless they live close to free hunting grounds.
The cost of travel, NR tags, leases and trespass fees will in now way reduce food cost, it would actually make it more expensive.

Don't worry about your tags. When food really gets short, people won't be looking for tags. They'll be looking for meat. Regulations don't mean much if people are truly in a tight spot.

In economic crisis wildlife is always the first to suffer. When it gets bad enough nobody will care about tags season or any of that mess

Last edited:
I think we in Montana should do everything we can to curtail non-resident hunting to give our low income population more opportunity to feed themselves.
Just remember when you talk about crapping on other people you are a nonresident in 49 other states. Also, you have cheap tags because nonresidents bear a chunk of that burden.

The fact is, there aren't enough animals or opportunities for every non resident to hunt in MT. I'm glad nonresidents are willing to spend money here but it has to be within reason. There are only a handful of states that have the NR appeal that we have.

How the heck does every thread turn into Montana mismanagement gripes and non-resident hunters being the cause of all the western states problems?

Hell, I am surprised the common sense gun control thread hasn’t had a post citing Montana meat hunters and non-residents deer and elk hunters at this point.

For crying out loud…

How the heck does every thread turn into Montana mismanagement gripes and non-resident hunters being the cause of all the western states problems?

Hell, I am surprised the common sense gun control thread hasn’t had a post citing Montana meat hunters and non-residents deer and elk hunters at this point.

For crying out loud…
It do be getting old…

Back