Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sun Glasses

idnative1948

I have been wearing military aviator glass (the real stuff) since 1969 and on my second pair since my original and am going to be needing another pair because the plastic is finally falling off the ear pieces on the last pair I purchased in 2001. Any of you oldsters out there still wearing these?
They are TOUGH, but heavy for wearing at long periods of time. The thing I like about them is that they do not scratch like plastic. Just wondering if anything compares before I order another?

I wear ESS, they're almost bullet proof (they have the tests to prove it) and so far I have no complaints. Their HQ is in Ketchum so even though they were bought out by Oakley a while back I figure some of the money is staying in Idaho.

Been wearing Smith Optics for years. Love mine. Currently have the Touchstones and like them a lot for blocking light on the edges. Ruggedly made w/ the glass lenses, also have used the carbon lenses and found that they do scratch easily.

Had worn the military aviators since '62 until my daughter got grown and conned me out of them back in the early 80's thinking it cool to wear Dad's gear, so I graduated to the Serengeti's. Now on my fourth pair, having a bent leg pair and a spring hook pair. They're photochromic glass lenses which give the best clarity of any I've tried, and allow me to look directly at the sun without closing my eyes, though not recommended for more than a few seconds, but are great for flying, water sports and especially on snow. No longer made in Kentucky, they've moved the operation to Japan so it makes it tougher to get them in a prescription but it can be done for a price.

Been wearing Smith Optics for years. Love mine. Currently have the Touchstones and like them a lot for blocking light on the edges. Ruggedly made w/ the glass lenses, also have used the carbon lenses and found that they do scratch easily.

Also great glasses, and headquartered in Ketchum so like ESS some of the money is coming back to Idaho. I have had a couple pair and I still have some of the old sliders with polarized lenses that I keep in my truck for fishing. Not bullet proof like ESS but good glasses. Smith also offers RX lenses under their Action Optics line. I had a pair of these a few years back and was pleased with them.

IDnative, as a fellow team IOU member I may be able to help you out I sent you a PM.

Hunter S Thompson...late aviator sunglass model and author;)

hunters-1.jpg

native, since having laser correction a little over a year the eye doc suggests good sunglasses for all outdoor activity. I lose or break often but buy on sale only. Maui JIm, Bolle, Gatorz, and Oakley (and other name brands) can usually be found on ebay.

Looks like he is wearing *big boy* glasses, as in 55mm. Anything larger than 52mm for me and I look like a *real* pervert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back