Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Successful Wyoming Elk Hunt

Did you get any video? Sorry if you mentioned it, I skipped chapters 2 - 6 of your story as I'm at work. Anyway, I've been videoing all my hunts lately and the family goes crazy over them. It's awesome to be able to bring part of your experience home to share with everyone especially from a successful hunt like you had here. Great job and keep up the good work!

I've been videoing all my hunts lately and the family goes crazy over them.
It's amazing all of the small cameras that have come out in the last six years or so that you can attach to bows and such. I looked for something that I could attach to my helmet before I left for Iraq in 05 but I didn't find anything. When I got home there were small cameras with brackets to mount on helmets all over the place.

Great trip! Grats on your buddy's bull there! Good times with family - can't beat it!
Thanks for the story and pics - a really enjoyable read!

That's a nice bull, congrats. Are you wearing the older Sitka or Core 4?

Thanks.

I was wearing the new Core 4 stuff. The Element pants and jacket. I was REALLY impressed. On the first morning the brush was still plenty wet and although my pants did get wet on the outside, my legs didn't and they dried up pretty quick.

It was in the upper 20's in the mornings and high 50's to high 60's in the afternoons and the Element was a very good match. During the warmer afternoons when we were moving of course we had our jackets off and wore the pivot base layer shirts, but the pants did fine with the thigh ventilation zips open. One afternoon when we had been sitting and it was windy I put on the assault shirt over my pivot base layer and had my jacket on and it was very comfortable.

One evening I wore my Sitka Ascent pants and it made me very appreciative of the thickness of the Element pants. I hadn't realized it but busting brush and deadfall the Element pants were doing a great job of protecting my shins and wearing the ascent pants in some thinner brush my shins took a beating. In defense of sitka though, I've since worn my Core 4 Switchback pants (the equivalent of the sitka ascent) and they didn't do a great job of protecting my shins when busting brush and cactus either, they are just too thin to do a good job when it comes to protecting your shins in heavy brush and cactus. I think as long as it's 70 or less I'll wear the Element pants in the future.

I had the Russell gear on this hunt too and the L3 Zephyr layer on the Russell gear is kind of in between the ascent type (switchback for Core4) layer and the 90% type (Element for Core4) level. I liked the Russell gear fine and I had their L5 rain gear in my pack most of the time but didn't ever get to try that out to give a good review on it.

Really impressed with the Core4 stuff though. So much so I'm thinking about buying an extra set and selling some of my Sitka and Russell gear.

That's good to hear. I picked up the element jacket but haven't gotten to use it yet. I'm back and forth between the element pant and Kryptek equivalent right now. The Kryptek feels like it might be a little quieter but not sure if I trust the durability of the softer fabric.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back