Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Success at last!

Calif. Hunter

I have been trying to get my .270 Howa to shoot consistent groups. It has thrown a flyer every single time. I bought a new stock. I tried pressure tip bedding. Still threw a flyer every time. I finally tried shimming the recoil lug area to free-float the barrel, and loaded up 5 each with a bunch of different bullets, all over 63.5 gr of H-1000. Things looked a little more promising with the 130 gr Hornady Interbonds, and the 130 gr Ballistic Tips made a circular group of about an inch and a half. Then the 130 Partitions made an inch group. Then the Grand Slams hit the same place. So did the Hornady 130 gr Interlocks. In fact, the last three bullets (15 shots) all went to the same point of impact and it was a 15 round, one inch group!

Now I will glass bed the stock to free-float the barrel when I get back from New Mexico. Hopefully, it will account for a nice buck! (I'm using the Hornady bullets - they've always been a one-shot kill on deer for me.)

Hey CH, I'm glad you seemed to have worked out the issues.. Sounds to me like the barrel needs lapping.. Might be something to try while you have it out of the stock next spring..

cool.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back