Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

sturgeon fishing

skeet20

Anyone out there that has fished for sturgeon on the Columbia or surounding area?

If you have, I would appreciate any information you are willing to share as to guides,best time to go, and what to look for.

Thanks

I dont recall the name of the guide I used but there is good fishing around Astoria close to the end of the Columbia River 10-20 fish a day seems to be the normal from what I heard there tend to be more small ones there then farther up river but they are also better eating and the best time is in May-June I think season closes sometime in July.

http://www.jonsoutdoors.com/ i have never fished with me. but have talked to him at the sportsman show a few times. seems like a good guy. they are sutting back the season this year on sturgon and springers this year. give me a shout when you are going to be here might work out to get you out on a free trip with me and buddy. he has a 21 ft custom weld. we will be hitting the springers hard soon.

The best time to go is between May/June as stated earlier. I have fished quite a bit below the Bonneville dam. you can find fish all over the lower stretches of river out to Astoria. If you re researching a guide there is a lot of good ones. They all average about $185 per person for 6-8 hours of fishing. one thing to ask when calling around is if they let you catch the bait. Catching the fresh shad can be half the fun of the trip. Another thing is to ask yourself if you want to go after keeper fish and have a lot of action or if you want to go after the over sized trophies. If you want a lot of action than ask for keeper style fishing. It is not uncommon to go out and have 10-15 fish days. When targeting the monsters it can take all day to get into one. I can send you the names of some guides if you want. Hope this helps..

Thanks for the help. It would be helpful if Big Luke would post some names of guides as perhaps there are some others on the board that could use the info or you could PM them to me.

I am interested in going for a couple of days and just targeting a really large one as I would just as soon leave the small ones grow. I will be on an Idaho bear hunt in late May and I thought since I am that close to the coast it would be a good time to do this trip too. It looks as if the timing would be good.

Thanks again for the help

I fished with Jim Amick about 10 years ago. Top notch would do it again. Fished late July, we were his last trip for the season. 3 of us hooked 4 large fish and got 3 to the boat. We used dead shad for bait as we were to late in the year to chatch live fish.
Jay
http://www.guideshop.com/guides.html

Hey skeet I would fish with Christain Wit. He is a great guide who knows how to catch fish. I have several friends who have gone with him and they all had a great time and have caught good sturgeon. Christain has it all, good boat, good gear, good price, he lets you catch your bait and he guarantees you catch fish. Here is his link, if you have any other questions please let me know.

www.columbiariverfishingguide.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back