String breaks - bow expands

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This morning I decided to take some advice and get a stabilizer for my bow. Seems my tremors get worse every year, and this year is no exception.

Talked to a doctor who is a serious archer. He recommended two things. One, get a stabilizer to dampen the affects of the tremor. Two, finally get my rotator cuff fixed, so I can draw back without the gyrations I currently go through to get to full draw.

His first recommendation seemed pretty easy. Second one would pretty much wipe out this archery season, and with four archery hunts, not a possibility. I promised him I would get that fixed next winter.

So, I get a new 8" stabilizer. Put it on the bow and start shooting. Amazing how much it settles the tremor. Why did I not ask him that question in more detail prior to this year?

After about ten arrows, I come back to full draw. Tuck my right hand under my chin and pull back a little more to the back end of the valley.

BOOOM! Stuff flying all over. I'm standing there wondering what the hell just happened. Arrow is laying at my feet. Release is still in my hand. String is wrapped around my left wrist. WTH?

Major string break. Right below where the string end loop attaches to the top cam. Loop is still attached to the cam, but the serving and the string are both frayed and broke about midway down the serving.

Guys at the pro shop say it's an easy fix, but they seem concerned about any affects on the rest of the bow. That makes me nervous.

Any of you guys ever have this happen, and if so, did it affect the limbs, the cams, or the timing, going forward?

You just need to look over the limbs, cams,ect. I would go with a whole new sets of strings and cables instead of having to replace the rest a year down the road. There are a ton of companies that make string and cables and they all claim there is no stretch, wrong they all do to some degree. The two I've had the best luck with are winners choice or Americas best.

Better now then in sept.

Not to me, but my father and several hunting partners. Just have them take a good look at the limbs and make sure the cams and cam axles are not bent. Pay particular attention to the area around the holes where the axles go into the limb, where the fork starts in the limb and around the bolt that adjusts the poundage.

I prefer Winners Choice myself, when it comes to replacements. I've yet to shoot any better.

When you get it back together, listen to the limbs as you draw the first few times. If there's a crack you can't see in the limb you can usually hear it when you draw so just listen for it.

Years ago I went to the Maverick 3D shoot in Dillon. I walk to the first station with my brother and two other guys we were paired up with. They are going to shoot first so I thought I'd do a couple pull back warm ups. Well like a dork I pull back and look through the peep and well I hit the trigger. It makes a loud pop/crack sound and the two other guys look back to see what kind of idiot they've been paired with. I thought that I had ruined my bow but there was no visual effects and ultimately I shot that bow 4 more years.

Supposedly they are dry fired at the factory to test how many cycles and such they can withstand. I think you'll be fine. My concern would be why it did this. That is a relatively new bow. You shouldn't of had any trouble this soon:confused: You might double check when you're out hunting that you don't get rocks and dirt on those cams. That will create wear and debris that will ruin a string in a hurry. It's easy to do because you're resting the bow on it's end sometimes with the cam in the ground.

I'll second the winners choice selection on your new string set up. Most bow shops highly recommend them. If you're really nervous sell it to me and get a new one. ;) I'll admit it does rattle you when it happens and I haven't even had a string break yet, just dry fires.:eek:

Let your pro shop replace all strings cables and let them thoroughly check it for damage and also retune things would be my suggestion. Little things that are hard to see could be messed up and you want an pro to look for them.

Woulda made great video as you are drawn back on a 380 bull. Guess you had bad timing:rolleyes:

2 years in a row, the week before archery season, the limbs on my bow snapped as I drew over peak. The last time I punched myself right in the mouth. I'm sure the neighbors where wondering why I was kicking my ass. I truthfully saw stars at the punch.

Mathews bows both times, and they fixed the new limbs ASAP. Things just don't shoot the same after that though.

never happened to me.I have 2 Elite bows with lifetime warranties no matter who owns the bow.
I do hope everything is OK with your bow.

I watched it happen to a guy I was shooting with at a 3D shoot last year. Spooky to say the least. His seemed like it was more than likely a burr on the cam that just worked its way through the string. Made focusing on the next couple of targets a bit of a challenge.

Made focusing on the next couple of targets a bit of a challenge...

For sure. Pulled out the backup this afternoon for a few arrows. Man, talk about a flinch. Strange how that is what my mind is focusing on now, rather than the target.

Gonna take a lot more arrows to get my mind back in order.

I had one blow up that resulted in a hairline cracked limb. The cause was a bur on one cam that must have got there from a collision with a rock or other hard surface. Darton replaced everything but the riser for free.

on my first fred bear bow which had the tear drop string holders ...string came off at full draw left me with a string mark tattoo right down my face for a week or so

I've never had on break, but had to run off the cam. That was scary enough. My cam was bent to a degree unseen and just ran off when fired. After finding out what the problem was I tried to recreate what i may have hit. Be it ground ,tree, brush ,rock etc. I didnt recall any major one's They told me it could have happened at any time more than just a few shots back. Also debris could have went thru when I shot and bent it. Anyway all cams cables and string were replaced.

I get it back, take to shoot. Hell yea I was flinching. It took some time to really get thru that. I was probably worse with that than getting busted with a scope from a rifle.. I jsut kept shooting and finally overcame that...

Stabilizer: I like one on any one I shoot. It takes shake and helps with balance There are so many brands and sizes to choose. Depending on your shooting ability and bow as to which to use.

So Next year when we see you shaking It wont be from the cold. lol

As far as your cuff I would have that surgery one day after your last hunt this year. That way you heal, then strengthen it back up.. I have a friend here that still have's problems after surgery. He went to a crossbow.. Our state law will not let you use one unless you have a disability. after all his efforts that the route he had to go. Maybe not as challenging, but still able to go hunting.

In regard to your cams being damaged with dirt,rocks,sticks,etc. I always carry a extra bandana in my pocket to throw down on the ground for the cam to sit on when I'm in a neeling position. your tip for the day. lol

Strange how that is what my mind is focusing on now, rather than the target.

I think it would be strange if it didnt. Unless you're one of those psychotic types who has no fear of anything :). That is one violent release of a lot of energy.

Had it happen half a dozen times through the years. A couple times I damaged other things including a cracked riser and some nasty blood blisters to my arm. One thing I learned is that it it sometimes happen right after my point of arrow group changed. So lesson is before you adjust that sight after your group shifts check you whole bow over for anything wrong

Glad you're alright Randy.....usually there are a few bruises and cuts involved. I've had it happen twice to me during the 35 years of pulling bowstrings. I learned then that I replace strings and cables at least every two years....no matter what. Winner's Choice is a good string/cable system........the protective coating helps reduce UV breakdown as well.

Another thing you'll want to check is your cam grooves themselves. Make sure there on no small nicks that may be cutting your string. Very common when the cams are place on the ground or you've fallen......most immediately check the limbs (which is good), but oftentimes overlook the cam grooves.

You've got time to get them replaced, cure the target panic that tends to follow such an incident, and start shooting the bulls-eye out!

I would think the string breaking is a result of string rot or like others are talking about where there is a damaged cam or bur on the cam that is cutting or wearing at the string.
Here is a little video on string derailment...way more common than a string breaking but good info. The video shows a bow derailing and how it happens so that you can avoid having the problem. The also point out some of the damage that can happen to a bow after it blows. Enjoy.
http://youtu.be/AJoxJJjcQFU

When I worked at Golden Eagle we used to put on a welders cape, gloves and hood and dry fire the crap out of a few of the new bows till the blew up. Kinda fun.
Winners Choice is a good string. The ones I shot this weekend at our Sectionals are 6 years old. The shop will check everything out for you. Q-Tip around the cam will find burrs. If it had derailed you wouldn't need to check.

I have had three bows blow up in 25 years of bowhunting. Most recent was last year... I change my string and cables every spring with Winners Choice. I can't afford to have a failure while on a hunt. I keep the previous years strings in my pack as a backup with the loop and peep sight attached. Ed F

Sorry to hear that about your bow--happened to me once--scared the crap out of me! Anyway, I was developing some pretty severe target panic over that past couple of years. I bought a back tension release. I shot it at a blank target for weeks at about 5 yards until I felt comfortable. It is "ALMOST" impossible to flinch with this release. This not only helped me with my target panic, but it improved my shooting technique. I still shoot/compete with a wrist strap finger release. I just use the back tension release as a training aid. Just my two cents--Hope you season is great!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back