strength training for archery

powderhogg01

can anyone recommend some good exercises for boosting my bow strength? I am shooting about 50 arrows a day, but would really like to find out what I could be doing in order to boost that strength faster. thanks in advance friends

Most any pulling exercise would help. Pullups and dumbbell rows would probably do as much good as any.

dang 50 arrows a day?!

whatcha pulling now? Do you really need to go up? I feel most people pull too much because it's an ego thing, my buddy is a strong kid and draws 70# but couldn't hit a pie plate at 40yds to save his life. I told em to back it down and it's like I told him to go vegetarian.

Most any pulling exercise would help. Pullups and dumbbell rows would probably do as much good as any.

^ What he said. And just shooting your bow more.

I had one of those BowFit contraptions that's basically surgical tubing with a plastic handle on the end for pulling back. I didn't realize that the abrupt angle of the handle was fraying the tubing until I pulled it back one time and it broke, snapping me in the face. Tricky move, Bowfit, but you won't fool me again.

The heavier weight you try to pull, the more emphasis you should be placing on keeping your rotator cuff muscles strong. Any sort of pullups/row exercises, either barbell or dumbbell will strengthen your back.

The heavier weight you try to pull, the more emphasis you should be placing on keeping your rotator cuff muscles strong. Any sort of pullups/row exercises, either barbell or dumbbell will strengthen your back.
If you decide to work on your rotator cuff; I like the stuff put together by Dr. Jobe for baseball players, particularly pitchers. Doesn't take long and only requires a 3-5# weight. Google will find it easy enough.

I had one of those BowFit contraptions that's basically surgical tubing with a plastic handle on the end for pulling back. I didn't realize that the abrupt angle of the handle was fraying the tubing until I pulled it back one time and it broke, snapping me in the face. Tricky move, Bowfit, but you won't fool me again.

I started laughing out loud on the John when I read this. Probably made the guy in the next stall wonder just what was going on...

dang 50 arrows a day?!

whatcha pulling now? Do you really need to go up? I feel most people pull too much because it's an ego thing, my buddy is a strong kid and draws 70# but couldn't hit a pie plate at 40yds to save his life. I told em to back it down and it's like I told him to go vegetarian.

im pulling 72lbs and am hitting a pie plate at 50 no problem, I just feel rather shaky by the end of my 50 arrows. Until now I have always had a place where I could shoot all winter, indoors.. so I never felt like my bow muscles had weakened... This year, through relocation and new jobs and life in general I Just have not been out shooting as much as I like.
Thanks to those who have given me some good ideas, I will start working on the rotators more.. I would like to specify that I am NOT trying to pull more weight.. I am trying to improve my steady and ability to hold on target longer. By the time season comes around I will be in good shape, im simply curious if anyone out there had a special workout they partake in.

I had same exact thing happen to me. LOL!

For me any exercise routine is better then nothing. My biggest fault last year was thinking I can just walk up and down a mountain side, LMAO NOPE! Cardio, max cardio, cardio, and more cardio will be my focus this year. I will not let my endurance stop me. I can spend all day in a gym if I wanted to.

Focus on rows and anything that will target your delts. For me I notice my front delt on my hold arm burning after an hour at the range. Upright rows, face pulls, reverse fly/pec deck, bb rows, and db rolls should help.

I would say that doing a row type exercise on either a cable machine at the gym or with a strong resistance band at home. Pull back like you were drawing a bowstring. Besides doing reps I would practice holding steady for lengthy periods (as if you were holding at full draw). In the hand you hold your bow with practice holding a weight out like it was your bow. Or even put weights on your bow somehow and practice holding it out and keeping it steady.

im pulling 72lbs and am hitting a pie plate at 50 no problem, I just feel rather shaky by the end of my 50 arrows. Until now I have always had a place where I could shoot all winter, indoors.. so I never felt like my bow muscles had weakened... This year, through relocation and new jobs and life in general I Just have not been out shooting as much as I like.
Thanks to those who have given me some good ideas, I will start working on the rotators more.. I would like to specify that I am NOT trying to pull more weight.. I am trying to improve my steady and ability to hold on target longer. By the time season comes around I will be in good shape, im simply curious if anyone out there had a special workout they partake in.

Rotator cuff strength is important as specified. I like elevated External rotation and lateral raises below 90* with relatively light weight (3-5#).
Given your desire to hold longer, working on pushing/foward raise strength for the bow arm may be of more benefit. Single arm pressing may be helpful. If you have access to a cable machine, you can do a push/pull exercise that is often touted for core strength, but would work for this as well. Something like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEDI6thykn8

Specificity in training is important. If you want to be able to hold longer, shooting more arrows isn't the trick, but holding each draw longer to accumulate more time under load will help.

I like dead lifts, rows, and lateral raises for back. Throwing in some shoulder work is a good idea too. John dudley seems to like straight arm hangs from the pullup bar and contracting the scapula. The main thing is learning how to feel your middle back muscles when you are using them.

Specificity in training is important. If you want to be able to hold longer, shooting more arrows isn't the trick, but holding each draw longer to accumulate more time under load will help.

Thanks for the link, I do have access to a cable machine. I shoot 50 arrows a day to help my form and muscle memory more then anything. I will typically start at 50 yards and shoot 10, then 10 at 40, then I will move to 30 and hold each arrow for 1 minute 10 times, then I will move to 20, shoot 10 fast draw type arrows followed by 10 1 minute holds. by then end I am typically hitting the outside edges of the 4" ring.
I feel confident in my shooting, but seek to improve my ability to hold steady for longer, as that is what I feel is my weakness.
I'm going to work some of these ideas into my daily workout, thanks for all the suggestions.

If you want to hold longer, why not just hold longer when you shoot? Might have to cut down the number of arrows and not do it everyday, but 1/2 times a week only shoot at shorter distances and just work solely on holding longer.

John Dudley with Hoyt has some good workouts on youtube. If you have access to a gym with cable machines I would suggest trying to stand as if you were holding a bow and drawing it back. I was doing that last year and it really helped. I was doing dumbbell rows with 75-80lbs but it must be a different motion than drawing a bow. so standing and holding your left arm out and pulling back the cable handle to your anchor point mimics the draw cycle on a bow much better. I was also holding the weight back like I was drawing a real bow and holding to shoot. not just hammering them out. i do both sides now as part of my back workout

Shoot more often to build up strength but shoot less arrows in each session. It's only April so you've got plenty of time until the season starts.
You may want to shoot fewer arrows at a time until strength improves b/c rest is just as important if not more important than the actual exercise. Kettle bells and any basic rotator cuff exercises with 3-5 pounds will help some. Also make sure you stretch regularly.

End of the day pulling the bow and shooting consistently will get you there. Jose's method may create acne, mood swings, hair in weird places, shrunken testes, or cause your flagpole to stand at attention for more than 4 hours, in which case you'll need to call a doctor.

Back