Caribou Gear

Stoveless backpack meals

Pro tip: if your forget your stove, they are all stoveless.

Mountain house will rehydrate about 80% with cold water and an 8hr soak...
That would really suck. But usually on backpacking trips you’re so hungry that that probably wouldn’t bother a guy too much. Be happy you remembered to start it soaking before you left camp!

Looking at the label, I believe it might be good for a few days. But problem is, at least it wont give you enought Vitamins, especially B12. Anemia, lack of energy can be expected. You will feel weaker and weaker if only rely on this.

When I go hiking/hunting a few days without stove (yes, I like doing this), I eat Soylent, MRE, Spam. Vegatable and fresh fruit can be a problem but if you know some edible plants...

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

The Winds. Between high school and college I did a NOLS mountaineering trip. It was neat and a great point in life to do it, bagged a bunch of peaks, etc.
Your a hell of a lot tougher than I am maybe I don't want to tag along 🤣

To OP’s question: I eat green belly’s every fall. They are very filling and tasty. Not very healthy on their own but when I’m elk hunting everything is considered healthy.

We used green belly's this fall for mid day snacks or part of lunch during elk hunting. Ate one every other day or so. They were good and it was nice to have something different with some extra calories. The chocolate was hard to get all down though. Too rich.

Greenbelly's are actually very good. I'm more of a hot food guy but no complaints on the Greenbelly stuff.

+1 on all that.

the apricot peanut one isn’t great but the cranberry one and the chocolate banana varieties both are good. They work very nicely as a meal replacement. I’ve split one in half between breakfast & lunch w/o issue when I was on stand or glassing and they work.

When I’m out my calorie intake drops; hunger drops big time and I have to force myself to take the time to eat. On extended trips it would cause me an issue I know, but on shorter 2-night/3-day trips it’s not caused a problem. I pig out once back to civilization...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back