Stove pipe heat loss

Chippewa

Anyone run a heat exchanger of any kind on their tent stovepipe. Thinking of making one since cant find one for a three inch that come out of this Nu Way propane stove I have. Got to be a way to get some extra efficiency out of this little guy. On high the stove is near 700f an pipe 3ft up is 300f.

Attachments

• 20200509_135711.jpg
    20200509_135711.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
I think that is an issue with just about any stove. Lots of different Ideas out there on the google. Most of what I have seen involve elaborate piping to provide more surface area for the heat to radiate within the tent. Basically trying to turn the stovepipe into a radiator. I was thinking of attaching some extruded aluminum fins a hanging a battery powered fan near it to move the air around. Or just bring more propane and let’er rip. Hard to test in south Texas as we have 4 hours of cold weather any give winter

Seems like a market cuz I seem more homemade contraptions than not as well. Or was thinking am I over thinking again. Agree bring the big tank. This little thing heated up my insulated shop nice the other day. It was windy a under40 out.

You can buy or make a metal box that fits inline in the chimney pipe. The metal will get hot and radiate around the tent. It doesn't have to be extravagant at all. It can be as simple as a box in the pipe. I've thought about it, but don't because it's one more thing to have to pack for what I feel is a small benefit.

You can buy or make a metal box that fits inline in the chimney pipe. The metal will get hot and radiate around the tent. It doesn't have to be extravagant at all. It can be as simple as a box in the pipe. I've thought about it, but don't because it's one more thing to have to pack for what I feel is a small benefit.
I was thinking the same thing, unless you are camping by the truck it is just more weight to get up and down the mountain

If the chimmney is cooled too much you are going to have creasote and soot build up. need some heat going up to draw. Someone better versed in Thermodynamics is going to have to determine what the optimum "heat efficiency" is. I think we would be surprised at how poor even a home wood burning system is for efficiency.

Efficiencies average around 78% (with a range of 63- 84%) using the higher heating of fuel (HHV). Note that a catalyst stove burns more cleanly at lower burn rates. At high burn rates the particulate matter passes through the catalyst more quickly, with less retention time, resulting in higher emissions.

If the chimmney is cooled too much you are going to have creasote and soot build up. need some heat going up to draw. Someone better versed in Thermodynamics is going to have to determine what the optimum "heat efficiency" is. I think we would be surprised at how poor even a home wood burning system is for efficiency.
Unless you are not giving the combustion enough oxygen you will not get soot from a propane flame only water and CO2.

Wasn't my idea, i stole it from the likes of this pic here, but i made one out of several small pieces of oval tubing and two sheet metal HVAC vent housings and it works perfectly. I use a mall piece of double wall pipe at the top near the tent mesh and with an IR thermometer i never see anything over 120* on the exterior at the fabric (which i believe is designed for 300*). My version isn't pretty, but it works like a charm and is light weight and most importantly dirt cheap.

Attachments

• heat exchanger.jpg
    heat exchanger.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 11
Move the stove away from the jack opening and run more pipe that will let the heat out before going up though the roof.

I agree that it is very easy to bring toooooo much gear including kitchen sinks and stove pipe radiators. Ive made some homemade ones out of cans, but then again my wood wall tent stove will cook me out as is.

Since i'm trying propane not worried about much other than monoxide an fuel efficiency. So far ordered a heat powered fan to mess with. The clip on metal stripes that go around the 3" stove pipe seem interesting but 25 bucks for 6.

Back