Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Stop grinding shanks

This was the first animal in a long time that I didn’t debone so it was my first chance to try it (on the bone). I made something similar a few years ago with them boneless but I think this was better.

Ive started saving the shank parts even if I cut them off the bone. I don’t think it’s quite as good as a bone in shank but still good

Ive started saving the shank parts even if I cut them off the bone. I don’t think it’s quite as good as a bone in shank but still good
Bone in shanks are becoming a rarity with the spread of CWD. My Selway bull last year was my first bone in shanks from elk in a while.

Bone in shanks are becoming a rarity with the spread of CWD. My Selway bull last year was my first bone in shanks from elk in a while.

One of the butchers here in Denver won't do them anymore, they're not allowed to use saws in their processing. Not sure if it's a state regulation or a shop rule...

One of the butchers here in Denver won't do them anymore, they're not allowed to use saws in their processing. Not sure if it's a state regulation or a shop rule...
Many states prohibit the importation of deer/elk bones from a CWD state.

That very well might be a state regulation for processors.

Maybe its overkill but I don't cut any bones anymore when butchering. Maybe covid, lymes and head injury have me paranoid

The shank is some of the finest eating there is, if not our current all-around favorite "cut." Heed Hank Shaw to learn the basics. I cannot imagine letting one be ground.

Maybe its overkill but I don't cut any bones anymore when butchering.

I stopped using a saw the day I figured out how to properly use a knife to debone an animal.

Shanks are the only exception and that is because they are oh so delicious. But CWD does cross my mind when I cut through those shanks. Looking forward to an at-home CWD detection kit!

Going to resurrect this thread because everyone talked about not grinding shanks. I am not a bone in style for Osso Bucco but here is what I did.

Birria Tacos

I deboned the shank muscles off my elk, and put them in a cast iron pot to braise. I covered them in beef broth and water, an onion, 1/2 can of tomato sauce, some guajillo peppers, and a few chile de arbol. Let that simmer for 3-4 hours and it shred amazingly. We dip the tortillas in the sauce, put some cheese down to melt, then add the meat and crisp on both sides. Slap some cilantro and sour cream on and dip in the sauce as well. So good. I will never grind the shank again!

I didn't take any pictures but recently made a Pho inspired broth using 6 shanks.

Did a couple initial boils to get the main scum off. Then I boiled the shanks with star anise, coriander, charred onion, charred ginger, cinnamon, and clove until the meat was falling off the bones. I removed the bones, strained the broth, added some fish sauce, salt, sugar, hoisin, and sriracha and reduced for about 40 minutes. While that was happening, I picked the meat clean, added a little fish sauce and salt and tossed it, then set aside. I ended up adding some beef "better than bouillon" to the broth to add some body to it to finish it off.

Finally, I soaked then boiled some rice noodles and added to a soup bowl. Then added some of the picked meat, plenty of broth, and a fresh squeeze of lime and serve. It was delicious, but I wish I had also pulled out a raw roast to slice thinly and serve with the boiling hot broth like a true pho. I'll definitely be doing this again as the whole family loved it.

need to read the rules on interstate trans port,,it is the brain and spinal column that you cant trans port,,as far as i know leg quarters,ribs{except top portion}front leg quarters,hide,cape,and even the head{as long as the brain and all spinal column is removed}as far as i know.they havnt stated other rules about boiling the head,ect as far as i know,,at least in the western states.leg bone for osobucco should be fine i would think.

need to read the rules on interstate trans port,,it is the brain and spinal column that you cant trans port,,as far as i know leg quarters,ribs{except top portion}front leg quarters,hide,cape,and even the head{as long as the brain and all spinal column is removed}as far as i know.they havnt stated other rules about boiling the head,ect as far as i know,,at least in the western states.leg bone for osobucco should be fine i would think.
Better check closer. Some states have outlawed transport of ANY bones other than cleaned skull cap.

does anybody have a list of these states?ive read the oregon,idaho,nevada,wyoming,utah ,colo,and n m pretty well and havnt seen "bones",,or boiled skull cap?how do they define how clean a scull has to be? would like to know?also there is mention of lymphnodes but i havnt seen where to remove those from?i drill a nice clean hole in the back of the head with a hole saw and brain comes out in 1 nice clean ball,,then i wash it out with boiling water.is that good enough?

Back