Caribou Gear

Stone sheep hunts

You could also check out some of the outfitters in the Yukon. Theirs a couple of them in the southern part of the territory

Unfortunately I can't argue with your $65K Stone sheep cost. At the ISE sport show in Denver last year a Stone sheep outfitter quoted me a horseback hunt for $55K, plus in his literature, he listed a 15% tip for his staff.

The other costs that you listed are way above my hunting circle.

When I did my Dall sheep hunt in '99, I was at the Montana State Skeet shoot in Great Falls the week before my hunt. I had driven my pickup with my slide-in camper to the shoot, and the last day of the shoot I arranged to get on an early squad for the 12 gauge event in the morning and took off to Canada as soon as I finished it and I skipped the .410 event that afternoon.

I drove straight through to Edmonton, slept in my camper just outside the airport, and made my 7 AM flight to Norman Wells the next morning. Air fares were less then, but I think that my commercial flight to Norman Wells, float plane to the base camp, and the Super Cub to my sheep hunting area were about $1,000.

My desiger camo for that hunt consisted in an inexpensive set of Cabela's rain gear, a Walmart closeout camo shirt that I had bought at the end of the hunting season the previous year and my everyday Levi jeans. Total cost of <$50.

Until recently I haven't hunted with a spotting scope, and even on my Montana Unlimited ram hunts and my Mountain goat hunts, I never took a spotting scope. I only used my $99 Nikon pocket binoculars. My Dall sheep guide also did not carry a spotting scope, and he also just used his binoculars. I don't remember which one of us spotted them first, but when we saw the band of rams that mine was in, I had picked out my ram before my guide said anything. Those Nikon binoculars were the same ones that I had used for years for all of my deer, antelope, and elk hunting. So total cost of optics for my Dall sheep hunt = $0.

The rifle that I used on my Dall ram hunt was the .257 Roberts Improved that I had built in 1977 and had used for 20 years on all of my deer, antelope, unlimited Montana bighorn ram hunts and one elk hunt. So total rifle cost for my Dall sheep hunt also = $0.

My 1999 Dall ram. The dot between his nose and left horn is the exit hole of the 206 yard shot with a 117 grain Sierra Gameking bullet.
6Wkui3Xl.jpg
Nice ram ! You could kill sheep and other big game with Levi’s in the 90’s . I have done the same back then. but You need 3-4 k of designer camo today 😂

I think region seven generally has higher densities and better weather/less moisture than region six. There are some great outfitters from what I’ve heard in the classic stones country on the muskwa.
If you can afford it, you should do it because the prices are escalating rapidly.
I’m trying to make it happen how do you find out what region is what? I have been looking at golden bear outfitters

I’m trying to make it happen how do you find out what region is what? I have been looking at golden bear outfitters
From what I know they’re a good outfitter. I believe they are in R6. (Further west, more coastal)

I am hesitant to tell this story.

several decades ago in northern British Columbia my guide and I were glassing four young Stone rams which had appeared atop a far ridge. Just below them was a huge frozen snow drift. The drift was left from the previous winter and was perhaps 200 yards wide and a 100 long. One ram trotted out onto the snow and dropped down on its side, sliding to the bottom of the snow. The other rams each took their turn then trotted back to the top and repeated their game. Afterward they marched back over the ridge and disaappeared.

Last edited:
I am hesitant to tell this story.

several decades ago in northern British Columbia my guide and I were glassing four young Stone rams which had appeared atop a far ridge. Just below them was a huge frozen snow drift. The drift was left from the previous winter and was perhaps 200 yards wide and a 100 long. One ram trotted out onto the snow and dropped down on its side, sliding to the bottom of the snow. The other rams each took their turn then trotted back to the top and repeated their game. Afterward they marched back over the ridge and disaappeared.
I saw some whitetail does playing with an empty trash bag once.....like a couple of dogs would play with a toy. My story has nothing to do with sheep, but wild mammals can surprise you with their behavior.

I am also looking been talking to dustin roe at backcountry bc and beyond along and have been recomended Kinaskan lake outfitters as well.

I’ll do all the research and find the best hunt money can buy if you take me along.

I am also looking been talking to dustin roe at backcountry bc and beyond along and have been recomended Kinaskan lake outfitters as well.
I hunted with Dustin for Stones in 2018 and have done five other hunts with him for various species. He runs a great operation and has a very good success rate on Stones.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

I hunted with Dustin for Stones in 2018 and have done five other hunts with him for various species. He runs a great operation and has a very good success rate on Stones.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
thanks man I would love to! I am little new to the hunttalk world so ill have to figure out how to send a message.

I hunted in Kinaskin lake area as a resident last year. Feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like. Have hunted in Dustin's area as well but not for sheep (caribou)

There goes my dream. Stones were on the second line of betting after an argali. For 10 grand I can do you huntalkers a hog deer and a sambar hunt here in victoria Australia and no tips that would be your poor man's flight covered as well.

There goes my dream. Stones were on the second line of betting after an argali. For 10 grand I can do you huntalkers a hog deer and a sambar hunt here in victoria Australia and no tips that would be your poor man's flight covered as well.
Hey that’s a decent deal I have a couple buddies that paid 15k for a Sambar hunt on the California coast.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back