Stone Glacier Solo or 5900?

kmbrewcrew

Ok, guys...I’ve been combing the forums, searching the websites, and scrounging through catalogs. I think I’ve decided to go with a Stone Glacier pack as an upgrade this year. I have a MR pop-up 28 that I love for daytrips, but I’m looking for something that will carry a bit more, and still cut the weight down as much as possible. Looks like I can save 2+ pounds by going with one of these two SG packs as opposed to the MR Metcalf or Marshall (even with some accessories added in, such as camp pockets, etc...).

I think I have it narrowed down to the Solo or the 5900. I don’t anticipate more than 2-3 days pack in hunt. I may have to pack extra for kids at some point though. So, my question is: Which of these two do you think would be the better option? Why would you choose one over the other? Is there a third option that would be even better that I have overlooked?

I know there are a ton of posts about packs, but I’m looking for very specific info here. And, buying both bags is not an option. BTW, after visiting the showroom here in Bozeman, I think I have decided to go with the Evo Krux frame, rather than the X-curve. It seemed to fit better when I tried them on, it is over 1/2 pound lighter, and it is $30 cheaper!

Give me your best advice!

I started out with the solo then moved to the 5200, which is no longer made, but close to the 5900 of course. Since you've got a day pack you like, I like the flexibility of the bigger pack.
If you end up doing some later season BP trips puffy stuff fills space fast.

Solo has been big enough for me for 6 days in Sept, archery elk. I couldn't handle all the weight I could put in a 5900, so the Solo keeps me from packing extra stuff I don't really need and when packed for 6 days I end up with 55#ish. That's enough on my back and when packing meat the pack can also handle more weight than I can. On the other hand I have never tried a bigger pack so can't compare.

You can gain capacity with a bigger pack with almost zero weight penalty. You gain nothing with a smaller one.

I carry the 6900 and before that the 6200 even on day hunts. They clinch down to nothing.

5900 is my favorite pack I’ve ever owned. I run it in daypack mode 95% of the time. I love the layout. I’m sure you’d be happy with either.

I went with the 6900 and couldn't be happier with the pack setup.

I started out with the solo then moved to the 5200, which is no longer made, but close to the 5900 of course. Since you've got a day pack you like, I like the flexibility of the bigger pack.
If you end up doing some later season BP trips puffy stuff fills space fast.

Agree I have the 5200 and then got the access bag for extra space for camera equipment and cold gear for trips later in the season.

You can gain capacity with a bigger pack with almost zero weight penalty. You gain nothing with a smaller one.

I carry the 6900 and before that the 6200 even on day hunts. They clinch down to nothing.

Exactly. I’ve got their 7200 and use it for everything. I say go big...

Using the 5900, in late season I only find I have enough space for a 2 or 4 day max trip with food, layers, sleep system etc. Coming out with meat can be a tight fit but it works well. I want to get the 7900 bag only for extra room or longer trips. Using the solo for 2-3 day trips I dont think would work for me, and I pack pretty light with a small spotter and tripod as well.

Also consider your back packing equipment... how old/$$$ is your bag/pad/tent I just upgraded and can fit all three in a day pack if I needed. With my old setup I would have needed a 6900. I did Sept in AK for 5 days in a 5200 + access bag.

Also consider your back packing equipment... how old/$$$ is your bag/pad/tent I just upgraded and can fit all three in a day pack if I needed. With my old setup I would have needed a 6900. I did Sept in AK for 5 days in a 5200 + access bag.

Yeah, after biting this bullet, I’m going to start working on getting some upgraded camping equipment!

Why get off in Minneapolis when your going to Chicago. Get the 5900 you won't regret it one bit. I actually have a couple extra bags I thought I would use for lions and other trips now 9 out of 10 times I run the bigger bag. Even my wife does.

Bit the bullet today and went into the showroom here in Bozeman. Decided on the 5900 bag on the Krux frame. I added in a few accessories, and now I have it about ready for season...hope to try it out in bear season here in a couple of months (if the snow ever melts). I appreciate all the input/information/advice!

FYI, the guys in the SG showroom here in Bozmeman are great. Was an enjoyable experience even though I was laying down a small fortune. They are great at explaining everything about getting the pack set up and ready...and it would have taken me forever to figure out all of those straps! It’s well worth your time to stop in there if your in the Bozeman area!

5900 is a great choice!!! I've packed a lot of meat in mine and also have a Sky Guide 7900 for long extended trips.

Pretty hard not to do almost everything with a 5900 though. Great pack!

Nice choice, a guy just simply cant beat their crew and products IMO. I was just in there today and purchased some of their technical gear they have for the miss'. Looking forward to spring bruins, 19 days en counting!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back