Caribou Gear Tarp

Stockys ultra carbon tikka vertical grip

How the hell do you get a decent cheek weld on that thing? Do you have to instantly add an aftermarket adjustable piece?
The theory is if you have a super solid cheek weld you’re putting to much pressure on the stock with to much input.

You look at F-class guys and the only contact they make is in the butt stick and trigger.

The theory is if you have a super solid cheek weld you’re putting to much pressure on the stock with to much input.

You look at F-class guys and the only contact they make is in the butt stick and trigger.

I’d need a lesson on this. How do you stay ultra-consistent? Should we be making contact with our bows differently. I guess it’s an effort to eliminate input on the rifle.

I’d need a lesson on this. How do you stay ultra-consistent? Should we be making contact with our bows differently. I guess it’s an effort to eliminate input on the rifle.
It’s more of a deal where you try to keep any input in a straight line, so trigger finger pressing straight back, trigger hand pulling straight back (not wrapping thumb over,) minimal but consistent cheek weld, off hand on the rear bag to raise and lower the buttstock… etc.

The negative comb keeps the buttstock from wacking you in the face, minimizing perceived recoil, and the buttstock being higher than bore center-line knocks down the muzzle rise.

In theory.

I’m waiting on @brockel and @BAKPAKR to buy one and give it a thumbs up.

I can see a Tikka with a Proof prefit 7mm PRC barrel sitting in either a RokStok or a Peak 44 stock in my future.

Unknown Munitions is now milling the Tikka action to reduce weight. I doubt I will do that.

The milling is cool but isn’t a huge savings for me for what it will cost. I’m guessing $150-$200

View attachment 307774

I’m looking forward to a Rokstock arrival over here…

This only gets me to even with the bore line, and doesn’t come out of the Stone Glacier sling smooth every time.
I think what some people who are concerned with cheekweld on the RokStok are missing is that the fairly aggressive angle is getting you down to where you want to be, much like @Carl’s raised comb.

I think what some people who are concerned with cheekweld on the RokStok are missing is that the fairly aggressive angle is getting you down to where you want to be, much like @Carl’s raised comb.

I’ve studied it a bit more. It’s ugly as hell, but I think I see what’s happening. You can look at it like the butt doesn’t move. The stock from grip forward moves down effectively moving the scope down to your eye. I think.

I believe to design a stock that recoils straight back would take a straight line through the barrel to the center of the stock vertically and horizontally of the recoil pad. Every millimeter barrel rises from that line the tip of the muzzle rises. This creates an angled transfer of force that increases effective leverage of the recoil driving the rifle not just back, but sending the muzzle up.

Experiment. Hold a broom stick out like a rifle, as straight as possible. Have someone press it straight into your shoulder. What happened? Does the broom and you move straight back? Now slightly raise the muzzle while anchoring the broom at the same location on your shoulder. Have your someone press straight back again. What happened?

I’ve studied it a bit more. It’s ugly as hell, but I think I see what’s happening. You can look at it like the butt doesn’t move. The stock from grip forward moves down effectively moving the scope down to your eye. I think.

I believe to design a stock that recoils straight back would take a straight line through the barrel to the center of the stock vertically and horizontally of the recoil pad. Every millimeter barrel rises from that line the tip of the muzzle rises. This creates an angled transfer of force that increases effective leverage of the recoil driving the rifle not just back, but sending the muzzle up.

Experiment. Hold a broom stick out like a rifle, as straight as possible. Have someone press it straight into your shoulder. What happened? Does the broom and you move straight back? Now slightly raise the muzzle while anchoring the broom at the same location on your shoulder. Have your someone press straight back again. What happened?

Now put a dog leg on the end of that broom stick that contacts the shoulder and have someone push it back. It will move the least amount

I expect the cheekpiece will land somewhere between the one I showed (with a factory CTR cheek riser) and at most 1/4” higher at the point you actually index your face on. I know they’ve done plenty of testing and say it works fine with low rings. I actually like a lower cheek piece as prefer more of a chin weld which lets me keep my face more upright. I’m anticipating it’ll work well with my style and my high rings.

Rifles are very mechanical. As Hamm was saying, muzzle rise is largely a function of a moment being created between the bore and where the rifle contacts the shooter. You can eliminate the moment by moving the butt stock sufficiently into the bore line.

Last edited:
There’s a coupon code out there from Stocky’s for a 30% discount. Gets you down to Black Friday pricing.

If I didn’t have a couple savings account drainers pop up in the last month I’d be snagging a couple.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back