Stinky Euro mount

Magnum Sherpa

I recently picked up my elk euro from last season. It was professionally beetle cleaned and whitened. When I got it home, I realized it absolutely stinks. The euro looks great and it is completely clean, but it stinks the same way the guy’s beetle colony smelled (if you’ve ever smelled one, it is a very distinct smell). Any idea how to make it smell better other than airing it out? I had to hang some car air fresheners in the room I currently have it to mask the stank.

I recently picked up my elk euro from last season. It was professionally beetle cleaned and whitened. When I got it home, I realized it absolutely stinks. The euro looks great and it is completely clean, but it stinks the same way the guy’s beetle colony smelled (if you’ve ever smelled one, it is a very distinct smell). Any idea how to make it smell better other than airing it out? I had to hang some car air fresheners in the room I currently have it to mask the stank.

Can you post a pic... really close nose area. Curious about how he degreased, and then whitened your mount.

Did the taxi whiten with peroxide? That usually kills the smell.

Can you post a pic... really close nose area. Curious about how he degreased, and then whitened your mount.

Did the taxi whiten with peroxide? That usually kills the smell.
I am at work until tomorrow but can post a picture then. No grease marks that I can see and he used peroxide to whiten. The antlers actually smell worse than the skull. They had some brown dust-like material that I wiped off the best I could, but they still smell. I am assuming it was beetle excrement.

I’ve rinsed finished deer skulls, a coyote and a badger skull off just to get the dust and stuff off them with no ill effects. I’d probably give the antlers a once over with some water and a soft bristle brush. Not scrubbing hard to discolor it but just to get some of bigger “stuff” that might be holding the smell.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT BLEACH ON A EURO

(Most bleach has chlorine which will bond with the calcium in the bone and will slowly etch and eat it away to nothing)

But yea you could do round of peroxide on the skull. I might first try wiping down the antlers with vinegar, and or hitting them with the garden hose.

Last edited:
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT BLEACH ON A EURO

(Most bleach has chlorine which will bond with the calcium in the bone and will slowly etch and eat it away to nothing)

But yea you could do round of peroxide on the skull. I might first try wiping down the antlers with vinegar, and or hitting them with the garden hose.

You got me there. I didn't think about that part. However, my gut feeling is all that stink is coming from residue in the passages of the skull that was not cleaned out completely. You can also seal the antlers too which would reduce the smell. I would use flat latex finishes like Varathane Diamond finish which does not discolor over time and should reduce the smell coming from the antlers. Spray on polyurethane finish would work as a sealer but I would get a clear satin type.

You got me there. I didn't think about that part. However, my gut feeling is all that stink is coming from residue in the passages of the skull that was not cleaned out completely. You can also seal the antlers too which would reduce the smell. I would use flat latex finishes like Varathane Diamond finish which does not discolor over time and should reduce the smell coming from the antlers. Spray on polyurethane finish would work as a sealer but I would get a clear satin type.

Yeah mop and glow is a good one as well.

Sinus tissue is tough to completely clean out, no matter what method is used. I have prepared many skulls myself and one was not completely clean...bacteria mopped up the remaining vascular tissue and it stunk horribly. I did not go over with any chemical, but instead sealed the horn (keratin) because the stench had permeated it, and then let it air out in the garage for 6 weeks. Zero odor now.

After getting one elk back from a beetle cleaner I'm not sure you can do that without a serious decreasing or hot water treatment. I don't know a lot about it, but the skull was far from white and it smelled.

I soaked it in a degreaser myself and it came out awesome then. But again, i don't know much about the topic.

When I do Euros I just pull the sinus tissue right out, otherwise there is always meat hanging in there. Also check that the ear buds are removed. Barring all that, it will eventually quit stinking when everything dries out completely.

When I do Euros I just pull the sinus tissue right out
What tool do you use to do this? I have tried needle nose and it makes a mess and I'm always afraid I'm going to damage visible bone. I was thinking a dremel, but was hesitant for the same reason.

What tool do you use to do this? I have tried needle nose and it makes a mess and I'm always afraid I'm going to damage visible bone. I was thinking a dremel, but was hesitant for the same reason.

I’ve been sous vide-ing all my heads for 2 years now and after 36 hours it just falls out when I rinse it in the sink.

At some point I’m going to do a full write up on my bear euro... probably going to be another month until it’s done... but... clean as a whistle...

I use a compressed air canister (key board cleaner) if I have to get a lingering bit out.

I'm a skull boiler. The tissue is very soft after 45 minutes boiling. I just pull it out with a needle nose and it doesn't disturb the bone around it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back