Stimulus Money Project phases 1, 2, 3, and 4 complete

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I like the access panel for the oil filter. Did the first oil change on our 2015 a while back & that would be handy. Might have to look into one of those.

I like the access panel for the oil filter. Did the first oil change on our 2015 a while back & that would be handy. Might have to look into one of those.
Yeah it was always a royal pain in the ass taking off the factory skid. Plus, my tires rubbed on it and it was about as thick as a PBR can.

I’m pretty impressed with the quality these.

Tundra. The only pickup made you have to lift and modify to make it perform like a regular 4x4.
It is crazy how low these are in stock form. Great truck though, be been thoroughly impressed with it in snow and in the mountains.

What do you think of the Tundra? I’m in the market for a new truck. I have a Camry that I drive for my daily commute and I love it but I haven’t ever owned a Toyota pickup.

What do you think of the Tundra? I’m in the market for a new truck. I have a Camry that I drive for my daily commute and I love it but I haven’t ever owned a Toyota pickup.
So far I love it. Gas mileage is the only knock I have on it. I get between 14-16 on the highway, depending on speed. Freeway driving is pretty consistently 14.5-15.

Edit: other knock is lack of clearance for chains on front, common in newer vehicles.

I haven’t had a chance to really try and get it stuck yet , so I can’t offer an in depth comparison this far to other pickups I’ve driven. It does great on snowy highways. It rides great on the two tracks. Has oodles of power. Tows good.

I like the interior. I’m not into space age techy crap. It’s simple, functional, comfortable seats.

Just for giggles I might take it over to a local ORV/off road park and put it through the paces there just to see what it’ll do.

Some may disagree with me. That’s fine. I’ve driven a lot of different pickups around in some very challenging environments. I’ve had a number of them hopelessly stuck, forded rivers, etc. I’d rank the Tundra way up there in terms of the trucks I have experience with. Time will tell how high I’d rank it, and perception of value is relative. Keep in mind too, I bought used.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I love it. Gas mileage is the only knock I have on it. I get between 14-16 on the highway, depending on speed. Freeway driving is pretty consistently 14.5-15.

Edit: other knock is lack of clearance for chains on front, common in newer vehicles.

I haven’t had a chance to really try and get it stuck yet , so I can’t offer an in depth comparison this far to other pickups I’ve driven. It does great on snowy highways. It rides great on the two tracks. Has oodles of power. Tows good.

I like the interior. I’m not into space age techy crap. It’s simple, functional, comfortable seats.

Just for giggles I might take it over to a local ORV/off road park and put it through the paces there just to see what it’ll do.

Some may disagree with me. That’s fine. I’ve driven a lot of different pickups around in some very challenging environments. I’ve had a number of them hopelessly stuck, forded rivers, etc. I’d rank the Tundra way up there in terms of the trucks I have experience with. Time will tell how high I’d rank it, and perception of value is relative. Keep in mind too, I bought used.
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you got a good truck.

Best upgrade to my ram was putting diff lockers in front & rear. It really helps you get through some nasty stuff.

I like your build and transition, should work well for you for many years.

Best upgrade to my ram was putting diff lockers in front & rear. It really helps you get through some nasty stuff.

I like your build and transition, should work well for you for many years.
Eaton/Harrop makes an e-locker for the Tundra (@jryoung). Price with labor would run me about $2100. I’d do it in a heartbeat if it was a brand new truck I’d have for 15+ years. I’ll see what this will do first before I go making a purchase like that.

Eaton/Harrop makes an e-locker for the Tundra (@jryoung). Price with labor would run me about $2100. I’d do it in a heartbeat if it was a brand new truck I’d have for 15+ years. I’ll see what this will do first before I go making a purchase like that.

My wife keeps telling me to get a new truck. I keep shopping, but I just can't seem to justify the purchase (yet). The shortbed is really starting to bug me, we bought a vintage airstream this spring, and by the time I load a few things into the back of the truck and leave room for the dog it's really cramped. A standard bed, and a flip up back seat (as opposed to down) would get me a lot more efficiency.

The hardest part to shopping for a new rig is all the things I'd want to do to it right off the bat. With my Tundra, I don't want to put anymore money into it right now.

Hmmm...... That might not be a terrible investment, I’ll probably have my truck for 15 plus years. I think I’ve decided on the spidertrax spacers and a small lift, probably the Eibach you have. I’ll probably do it this spring. I think that truck would be a monster in the snow with chains on all 4.

Price for the locker is 1300. If you know someone who can do rear diff work it wouldn’t be that bad. I’m going to spend some serious time at the off road park seeing what I can get in and out of before I make this plunge. If I do, it might change how long I keep it (12+ years instead of 7-8).

For roughly the same price you’d be able to put on a winch.

Price for the locker is 1300. If you know someone who can do rear diff work it wouldn’t be that bad. I’m going to spend some serious time at the off road park seeing what I can get in and out of before I make this plunge. If I do, it might change how long I keep it (12+ years instead of 7-8).

For roughly the same price you’d be able to put on a winch.
Really not any worse in price than adding a lot of aftermarket bumpers, and not even as bad as a topper. I might have to get one and we can do a Pepsi challenge with and without the locker.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about a winch.

Last edited:
Jeez, you guys... $1300 for a bumper or a winch? Com'on...
It was built for the "badlands"... clearly.

and in all honesty my bumper was less than 1/2 that.

Jeez, you guys... $1300 for a bumper or a winch? Com'on...
It was built for the "badlands"... clearly.

and in all honesty my bumper was less than 1/2 that.
I’ll just add a hand crank winch from a boat trailer. Should work about as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back