Caribou Gear

Steamboat Things to do

Coop

The wife and I will be heading to Steamboat Springs for a few days the first week of May on a last minute type trip. Planning on checking out some breweries/eateries, Strawberry Hot Springs, and maybe do a little mountain biking if we can stay out of the snow. Looking for recommendations on things to do/see if anyone has anything? Preferably scenic hikes within 1 or 2 hours or anything else outdoors. Thought about shed hunting but that would be a complete shot in the dark so chances are slim. Thanks in advance!

If youre into fishing stagecoach and steamboat lake have always treated me well. We went to steamboat lake and camped for 5 days last summer and we kayaked and fished. We rented a pontoon for a day and had a blast. And steamboat has a lot of cool little stores to walk around and check out. And there's always the alpine slide lol

I lived there last summer for a job, so I was there when there wasnt any snow and I spent most my time fishing. I can recommend some great restaurants. Salt and lime is fantastic and if you like barbecue, Moe's is pretty good. Talay Thai next to the ski resort has amazing food!! Most the taco places are good. Buffalo pass and Rabbit ears are beautiful and you can wander a lot up there...but again there might be snow. The Yampa River trail in town is pretty nice, it's a good way to see town. Images of Nature by Mangelsen is a neat gallery to explore. You can also hike up fish creek falls, that trail is so beautiful, just bring some cash for parking.

Last edited:
We're in Steamboat on a regular basis and on the of our favorite places to eat and get a good beer is Otto Pint. Awesome place. Fishing the Yampa is usually a good bet, especially south of town but beware of the restrictions. Floating the Yampa is always fun, might be a bit early for that in May but at least check it out. The plains lakes by Walden are fun to fish as well but a drive from Steamboat, Fish Creek is another place worth to fish and hike around. No help shed hunting though. Strawberry Hot Springs is unique, that is all I have to say about that.

I spend a lot of time there from August through October and am a full-fledged craft beer nerd. Others have given great suggestions, I'll focus on your 'breweries/food' comment:

Breweries:
  • Storm Peak: IMO - the best of the bunch by far for beer quality. Located next to Moe's on the west side of town where 129 goes north. Taproom is great, and last fall they opened a pizza place next door that is also good.
  • Mountain Tap: Best location (Old garage on Yampa Ave) - authentic neapolitan pizza. Rest of the menu is also very good (think 'new ameircan gastrobpub'). Beer is passable, not great. I usually say that if you could have Storm Peak's beers and Mountain Tap's food/pizza, it would be a perfect combo :)
  • Butcherknife: Just up 129 from Storm Peak - really neat taproom with an indoor/outdoor vibe. Beer quality is hit or miss. Some good ones, some total flops.
  • Mahogany Ridge: More of a restaurant/brewpub than a brewery. Food is good and it is right off Lincoln ave (the Main street)
  • Otto Pint: Opened last Spring, also down on Yampa. I haven't been to the Steamboat location, but the original (in Ft Collins) is good.
  • The Tap House: Also on Lincoln - not a huge tap list, but will usually have one from each of the local breweries and a few from the larger CO breweries. More of a sports bar kind of feel.
Food: (besides the above, which, with the exception of Butcherknife - all have food)
  • Aurum: On Yampa across from Otto - awesome outdoor seating by the river. Food is higher end and a solid wine list. Worth a splurge.
  • Low Country Kitchen: Moved from Lincoln ave a few blocks north last year.
  • Salt & Lime: As mentioned previously - very good. Bison Frito Pie says enough :)
  • Powder Day Donuts: A 'must stop' for me every time I head to camp for a dozen.

All great suggestions so far. A few additional places to consider for food are:

Creekside Cafe
Johnny B Good’s Diner
Winona’s (breakfast)
The Shack (breakfast)

If you're into mountain biking, the old ski hill in town is pretty good. It should probably be clear of snow, but it's hard to say.

Awesome suggestions. Thank you everyone and keep them coming if any come to mind!

Have a great time. Me and my wife will be there July 4th week. I’ve only been in the area in September but if I was going to shed hunt I would look for some blm land near Craig or farther west.

If you're into mountain biking, the old ski hill in town is pretty good. It should probably be clear of snow, but it's hard to say.

Good call - Buddy of mine went biking @ Howelsen yesterday and it's still got a good amount of snow (and mud). Would think it would be clear i(and muddy) n a couple weeks, though. He said the creeks and ditches are full, so runoff on the Yampa isn't far behind.

Preferably scenic hikes within 1 or 2 hours or anything else outdoors.

Pearl Lake (~40 min north of town) MAY be icing off by then - I looked @ the Steamboat lake webcam and it's still iced over - but with 60's in the forecast for the foreseeable future it might help. Pearl has grayling and cutts. There is a trail that wraps the south shore of the lake and heads off towards the Zirkels. Once you leave the lake basin it will probably have snow. Some years there are a ton of cranes around Pearl this time of year, too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back