Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

JULY TRIP TO CODY WYOMING - what to do?

Park is not bad but apporoach it the correct way, most dont thats why they have bad experiances. The park is not a drive thru adventure park where you drive thru a zoo. If you want to see old faithful or some special sight like the falls do it on a weekday, preferably early like shortly after sunrise early, tourists sleep in! If you want to truley experiance the park have some trails picked put ahead of time to explore. Even on the busiest saturday a short hike will have others but not ruin the day quanity that everyone says. Get out and off the pavement and enjoy it, the park is truley amazing place.

Cody sucks
Heading out to Cody Wyoming late June for a wedding. Plan on flying into Billings (due to cost) and renting a car for the 5 day trip. I have 3 days unplanned and would like to do some exploring/hiking. I have been hitting the YMCA every morning to get in better shape for hiking.

What do you all recommend doing?
So far my thoughts are
Buffalo Bill Museum
Yellowstone
I would really love to find an elk shed to bring home...

Thanks for any recommendations and fell free to PM me if you know where all the elk sheds are hiding!!!!!!
I'm just kidding. The museum is awesome, you can have the park and its crowds, there's tons of trails on the N Fork, and S Fork, and out of Clark. Throw a dart and go. Bears are abundant.

Go buy a big belt buckle, the most expensive Stetson hat you can find, some leather chaps, custom made ostrich skin boots and walk into a bar and ask about buying a ranch..around 40 acres at a good price. You should make a lot of friends and have a good time. Don't forget to go on and on how great the Yellowstone series is!

Cody sucks

I'm just kidding. The museum is awesome, you can have the park and its crowds, there's tons of trails on the N Fork, and S Fork, and out of Clark. Throw a dart and go. Bears are abundant.
I know I have more of a chance of dying in a car crash... but is it worth picking up some bear spray?

We were there this summer, The Wife wanted to take the trolley/history tour. I was pretty lukewarm with that. It ended up being worthwhile.

June is the best time to see the park, way less tourists. Go to Yellowstone and see it.
No one had mentioned grizz, are they out of the dens yet then?
The museum is a must.

Just got back from our trip. WOW, I already want to go back!!

We ended up flying into Bozeman and renting a Jeep with a rooftop tent. Drove down threw West Yellowstone the first day and entered the park threw there. We stayed at Indian Creek for the first night. The next morning had reservations to raft the Yellowstone river in Gardiner. That was a blast! Spent the rest of the day doing the north loop, and stayed at Bridge Bay the following two nights. On the third day we did the southern loop with the geysers and that was definitely the most crowded/touristy spot. The following morning we got up and headed out the east entrance towards Cody. Stopped for a hike around Wapiti to look for some sheds but got rained out and had the head back earlier than expected. In Cody we visited the Buffalo Bill Museum, did the trolley ride, and had dinner at Irma's. Had the wedding and headed back towards Bozeman early Sunday morning.

We saw elk, bison, pronghorn, bighorn, mountain goat, coyote, beaver, grizzly and black bears, mule deer, and even some spawning cutthroats. The two things the we didn't get an eye on was a moose or wolf.

Saw that train bridge that collapsed the day prior over the Yellowstone river, and a toy hauler camper that must have had to much weight for it in the back because it was sitting on its side in the middle of 90.

Had a blast and I will be back hopefully sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back