Staying Warm on Late Season Hunts

I don’t hunt elk, of course, but for late season game here in Pa., January and February, usually pheasants, I wear Under Armor and a down vest under my Woolrich hunting coat and one of those hunting muffs with two hand warmers inside. 1200 gram thinsulate boots and a thick ski cap. As far as gloves I wear ones which afford me an easy off and on to the safety. The coat I wear for deer season seems too bulky for walking fields and hunting pheasants and rabbits.

That's my solution for upland hunting. I also use a small hand muff with a hand warmer. In the process, I have lost more of my right hand chopper mitts than you can imagine. I stuff them in a pocket or in a pack, but somehow they disappear if I don't keep them on my hand. If you are left handed, we could probably swap the left-hand mitts from the pairs where I've lost the righthand mitt.
Unfortunately I'm also a righty, but I have the same problem.

Anyone have a hand muff brand they like? Particularly one that isn't going to pick up burrs and get all soaked if you're plowing through wet/frosty cattails and grass?

Pretty good info. I’ve found I can handle just about any level of cold but the wind eventually breaks me down.

The best wind jacket I’ve ever used is the Sitka Timberline. Every time I put it on I’m amazed at how it cuts the wind.

That's my solution for upland hunting. I also use a small hand muff with a hand warmer. In the process, I have lost more of my right hand chopper mitts than you can imagine. I stuff them in a pocket or in a pack, but somehow they disappear if I don't keep them on my hand. If you are left handed, we could probably swap the left-hand mitts from the pairs where I've lost the righthand mitt.
I remembered this exchange from last year so though I would post. I was back in that familiar situation this weekend. Well, not quite, but I had left my left hand chopper mitt with my bowhunting stuff and ended up on a pheasant hunt with only the righty. Turned righty inside out and I was good to go, never noticed the difference! Not sure if I should feel smart about figuring that out or dumb that I didn't figure that out years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back