Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Stay safe out there!

MThuntr

Stay safe out there...ducks and fish aren't worth it. Over the weekend of Dec 10, a friend went missing. He mentioned a couple nights prior that he was going for a hike and nobody questioned it because he does it all the time. They found his SUV parked near the Big Hole River. There SAR found a handful of duck decoys in a side channel and a hole in the bank ice. He's not known to hunt much and almost never alone. They have searched for days without success. 10 days now Mike is still not accounted for.

With the nasty weather that is rolling in, it will be tempting to get out to chase the local waterfowl population. Please be careful and stay off the shelf ice.

Man that stinks. 10 days isn’t looking promising, but I hope for the best.

Pretty early into the ice fishing season here and I've already heard of quite a few people going in and not being found right away. Stay safe

I had a friend of a friend die of hypothermia in the 1980s, which changed my mindset.

I send my wife a detailed map of where I am going to park every morning before going out,
also with InReach I can broadcast every hour my exact location to a map that only my wife sees on her phone.
( I hunt solo 99% of the time)

I had a friend of a friend die of hypothermia in the 1980s, which changed my mindset.

I send my wife a detailed map of where I am going to park every morning before going out,
also with InReach I can broadcast every hour my exact location to a map that only my wife sees on her phone.
( I hunt solo 99% of the time)

I'm in the same boat as yourself about 99% and follow your same pattern with a map, initial location of my vehicle via InReach however, mine is set for a signal sent to her every 15 minutes. I've never had a concern over battery life at that level and it also aids my own research later to define my paths taken.

Reading Mthunter's unfortunate friend event (praying), it's a valuable reminder for all of us. Sometimes we take our common element for granted.

we had two guys go through the ice just a couple of weeks ago, it is still early to be out.

I've learned the perils of shelf ice. It can be very deceptive. Arctic temps, waders, and a dunking is a bad combination.
Very sorry to hear this news.
I truly hope there is closure, a very sad situation.

we had two guys go through the ice just a couple of weeks ago, it is still early to be out.
Here in SW montana we've has fishable ice for over a month. The bank ice on the rivers is what is tricky...could be thick but perched feet over the water?

Unfortunately they ceased the search last week due to weather. Mikey is feared to be trapped under miles of the frozen Big Hole

Here in SW montana we've has fishable ice for over a month. The bank ice on the rivers is what is tricky...could be thick but perched feet over the water?

Unfortunately they ceased the search last week due to weather. Mikey is feared to be trapped under miles of the frozen Big Hole
so sorry to hear that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back