Starting side business

KB_

So considering all the construction going on around me every given day, I am considering going about starting a equipment and pov towing business as a side hustle. Thinking there is enough work here within the valley so I can keep it close by.

Instead of using my personal truck I may go pick up a cheap older truck and get the important stuff fixed on my own and go pick up a tandom axle car hauler.

luckily I have a father in law looking to drive truck again for some extra cash so when I'm at my day job the truck can still be running.

I know Ill need to start an LLC, and im looking to keep the towing weight under 10k and no government contracts so I can avoid having to register DOT(if possible).

Thoughts, Advice?

a car hauler is gonna get you over 10K net with 2 pickups easily.

also be sure you have enough liability insurance...

The type of coverage auto transport carriers need will also be dependent on a few factors. If you are hauling a smaller rig, and therefore a minimal number of vehicles, then you would be safe with about $250,000 in coverage. And if you are operating a larger rig to haul several cars, then you’re looking at closer to $500,000 or more in coverage. Although, it must be taken into consideration that this does not include liability. Depending on the vehicles you move and the truck you operate on, you may be required to have $1 million to $2 million in liability with your insurance.

Reactions: KB_
So considering all the construction going on around me every given day, I am considering going about starting a equipment and pov towing business as a side hustle. Thinking there is enough work here within the valley so I can keep it close by.

Instead of using my personal truck I may go pick up a cheap older truck and get the important stuff fixed on my own and go pick up a tandom axle car hauler.

luckily I have a father in law looking to drive truck again for some extra cash so when I'm at my day job the truck can still be running.

I know Ill need to start an LLC, and im looking to keep the towing weight under 10k and no government contracts so I can avoid having to register DOT(if possible).

Thoughts, Advice?
Your towing weight is not what DOT is looking at, it's your gvwr. So if your pickup is rated for 10-11000, which most 3/4 ton pickups are, plus a 14000 lb trailer, that puts your gvwr at 25-26000. So you might not need a cdl if you can keep it under 26001 pounds, but you are going to have to deal with DOT.

Also like you said you will need an LLC as well as good insurance, both liability and motor vehicle.

Your towing weight is not what DOT is looking at, it's your gvwr. So if your pickup is rated for 10-11000, which most 3/4 ton pickups are, plus a 14000 lb trailer, that puts your gvwr at 25-26000. So you might not need a cdl if you can keep it under 26001 pounds, but you are going to have to deal with DOT.

Also like you said you will need an LLC as well as good insurance, both liability and motor vehicle.
Is there a certain gvwr that i would need to be under to avoid DOT? Or is there really no way to get around it.

Is there a certain gvwr that i would need to be under to avoid DOT? Or is there really no way to get around it.
You basically have to keep your gvwr under 10001 lbs to avoid dealing with DOT, which is hard to do if you hook a trailer to anything.

It's funny that a person can essentially go buy a semi, pull a three axle toy hauler and as long as they have a sticker on their truck that says "not for hire" and you have no restrictions. But as soon as you buy an F250 and charge someone to move something for them, you have to jump through so many governmental hoops.

Again spit balling here, Considering all of the fishing going on and the preference for fly fishing. I dont know of a whole lot of fly rod combo rental shops around the area other then the few big guide operations that rent gear sometimes.

Seriously considering purchasing about 10 combo kits and starting a rental business and seeing how it shakes out, Worst case scenario is I have a bunch of extra fly rods for friends and family when they visit.

I suppose ill explain what my motive is. Sure side hustle for extra cash is always nice. BUT this is really to just get a cash flow going for my son, He is autistic and there is a chance he will need our support well after he is done with high-school. I simply want to set up him for success and if my side hustle turns into his business that I can "help" him with then I will 100% put my heart an soul into it. Even it it sprouted into a bait shop later on that would be great. But i'm thinking as a simple rental business that could maybe even deliver within the bozeman area.

Big plus is that boy loves fishing, especially speed fishing, gonna need the usain bolt of trout to catch his fly.

What about renting boats? 14’ aluminum, kayaks, canoes. I’ve rented before and it was certain fee for half day or all day. Sometimes transport was included. Watch this video, sign this waiver, here’s your PFDs and paddles. I think for whatever that truck/trailer/insurance premium would cost you could instead have a small livery. That is seasonal though and no telling what competition already exists.

What about renting boats? 14’ aluminum, kayaks, canoes. I’ve rented before and it was certain fee for half day or all day. Sometimes transport was included. Watch this video, sign this waiver, here’s your PFDs and paddles. I think for whatever that truck/trailer/insurance premium would cost you could instead have a small livery. That is seasonal though and no telling what competition already exists.
My sister in law mentioned that to me too about renting kayaks, I like the idea. Certainly a ton of competition, But considering all the tourist im sure the demand is way up there. Maybe fishing rods and small human powered boats? Thanks dude

Porta Potty rental and maintenance business. You have 3 markets: Builders on building sites, Events, and private campgrounds.

Not a lot of competition because no one wants to do it.
Minimal equipment and time requirements
Scaleable to be a 1 man or multi employee operation. Low skill requirement for labor.

I'm with @Benfromalbuquerque , rent everything, rods, canoes, kayaks, I'd add caddis boats to that as well
I can probably get some caddis boats pretty cheaply too and they take up little space when deflated that would be a good option to start with until we can get a larger space setup in the back yard. This gives me a bunch of ideas to get this going with little overhead.

If you've got the room for it, I think a guy could do pretty decent selling pre-bundled fire wood. Buy a load of logs, drop 'em, then buck, split, bundle. Sell them at gas stations etc, or do by the cord for homeowners.

Couldn't be much overhead to start, a chainsaw and a simple log splitter to start. Can scale up from there as the business grows.

If you've got the room for it, I think a guy could do pretty decent selling pre-bundled fire wood. Buy a load of logs, drop 'em, then buck, split, bundle. Sell them at gas stations etc, or do by the cord for homeowners.

Couldn't be much overhead to start, a chainsaw and a simple log splitter to start. Can scale up from there as the business grows.
I have a buddy that does this in michigan, I live in a subdivision tho and they dont allow it :(

I can probably get some caddis boats pretty cheaply too and they take up little space when deflated that would be a good option to start with until we can get a larger space setup in the back yard. This gives me a bunch of ideas to get this going with little overhead.
I like where this all is going. @2rocky is correct about porta potty rental. Along with the associated honey dipping of septics. It’s a dirty job that is in good demand. So long as you have wastewater plants that will accept outside black water, you’ll always have areas to legally empty sewage. Warm months- fly fishing shop with boat rental and firewood. All the time- porta potty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back