MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Started out good..

powderburn

One of my boys and I took Koda down to the area I'm going to hunt birds this year to let him get used to the lay of the land. We took along 22's, a 410, 20ga., and a 6mm that needed sighting in. Most 98% of the crops are still standing so we just walked some fence lines and a few small draws. Koda was very allert and showed some good moves. He never ranged more than 20yrds- 30 yrds. Everytime he showed signs of being on a good scent my son and I would get ready with the 22's. As he would flush small groups of partridge we would fire a couple rounds with the 22's. This went really well so we got out the shotguns and followed the same pattern of flushing and shooting for a little while. Koda flinched a few times with the shotguns but it didn't seem to bother him to much so we went to some old barns that I knew always had pigeons around them. Several pigeon retrieves later I figured we've got a good start on real birds so let Koda have a break. I had my son keep Koda back about 30yrds behind me while I proceeded to sight the 6mm in. With the first shot that dog ran straight to the truck and bellied down under it like he'd just seen a ghost. Needless to say that ended all shooting on the spot. I know I might have pushed him a little and now I've got my work cut out to bring him back around. It's a good thing he's got so much drive on birds hopefully that will help him get back into game.

Damn, you guys must be a better shot than me to be shooting flushing huns with 22's. :D

mtmiller there are certian rules that come into play when your useing 22's on Partridge. Just a few are always shoot left handed, stand on 1 foot only while shooting, squint both eyes at the same time, shooting backwards over the shoulder with a mirror is still an option. :D
Ok we only shoot the 22's off to the side so that Koda gets used to the sound of gunfire with a flush. Not even I am that good that I'd shoot at flushing Partridge with a 22 how ever Pheasants ....nah just kidding we're only conditioning at this time of year. The little Partridge are not much bigger than Meadowlarks right now. I was checking out the Antelope in this area but with most of the crops still standing we only saw a couple from a long ways off.

Idaho Ron, Koda is a Yellow lab thats 7 months old. I've stopped all training and Koda will get a week off before I start him again. I've got access to some early Pheasant shooting in a couple weeks and will take Koda along with the 410ga. He'll be working with a pair of steady old Goldens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back