Caribou Gear

Standoff in Philadelphia

Tiredofthebickering

I'm not sure if anyone else saw this. It's unfortunate and irresponsible for a mayor to insinuate that this criminal purchased all of his weapons and ammo legally. I have a hard time believing that narrative. I hope it comes out whether it's true or not.

CNN: Philadelphia shooting standoff lasted 8 hours. Suspect's lawyer called him to help end it.

"The Philadelphia mayor called out the NRA and demanded a resolution to the nation's gun crisis, saying officers need help keeping numerous weapons out of criminals' hands.

"Our officers deserve to be protected and they don't deserve to be shot at by a guy for hours with an unlimited supply of weapons and an unlimited supply of bullets. It's disgusting and we got to do something about it ... quickly," the mayor said. "This government, both on federal and state level, don't want to do anything about getting these guns off the streets and getting them out of the hands of criminals."

He has a criminal history of drugs and weapon charges, no way he was in legal possession of any of those firearms.

I guess I don't see how he insinuates the guns and ammo were purchased legally? The way I read it, no mention or thought was given toward how he acquired the weapons and ammunition, only that he shouldn't have them.

Perhaps the Mayor feels that the initial purchase was legal then the ammo and guns were transferred or stolen or gifted to the criminal. That is not how we refer to things such as cars when talking about illegal ownership. For example, who says this?...The Mayor noted the stolen vehicle used in the crime was actually a vehicle purchased legally at one point by someone prior to being stolen so asks the Media to report the criminal was using a legally-purchased car. Yeesh.

They will manipulate any talking point to support their agenda to gain popularity. If in today's culture it was a popular talking point to keep and bear arms, they would be pushing something else, maybe mental health services reform. But it's not. Today's agenda is removing guns, period.

Perhaps the Mayor feels that the initial purchase was legal then the ammo and guns were transferred or stolen or gifted to the criminal. That is not how we refer to things such as cars when talking about illegal ownership. For example, who says this?...The Mayor noted the stolen vehicle used in the crime was actually a vehicle purchased legally at one point by someone prior to being stolen so asks the Media to report the criminal was using a legally-purchased car. Yeesh.

If it's the mayor's intent to try and frame it like that, it still makes no sense, straw puchases are illegal, it is illegal to transfer or gift a firearm to a known prohibited possessor, and it's obviously illegal for him to steal them...no matter how you look at it, this guy was illegally in possession of the firearms he used.

I guess I don't see how he insinuates the guns and ammo were purchased legally? The way I read it, no mention or thought was given toward how he acquired the weapons and ammunition, only that he shouldn't have them.

I guess I read it that way because he acts like the government isn't doing anything to keep guns out of the hands of people like this. In reality, current laws in place would have kept this guy from purchasing these weapons if he had attempted to buy them from a legal source. It pushes the narrative that there is some simple solution to keeping criminals from buying guns illegally. If you changed his statement to refer to drugs it would be equally ridiculous.

"The Philadelphia mayor called out the FDA and demanded a resolution to the nation's drug crisis, saying officers need help keeping numerous drugs out of criminals' hands.

"Our officers deserve to be protected and they don't deserve to spend countless hours chasing down drug suppliers and purchasers with an unlimited supply of drugs. It's disgusting and we got to do something about it ... quickly," the mayor said. "This government, both on federal and state level, don't want to do anything about getting these drugs off the streets and getting them out of the hands of criminals."

I guess I read it that way because he acts like the government isn't doing anything to keep guns out of the hands of people like this. In reality, current laws in place would have kept this guy from purchasing these weapons if he had attempted to buy them from a legal source. It pushes the narrative that there is some simple solution to keeping criminals from buying guns illegally. If you changed his statement to refer to drugs it would be equally ridiculous.

"The Philadelphia mayor called out the FDA and demanded a resolution to the nation's drug crisis, saying officers need help keeping numerous drugs out of criminals' hands.

"Our officers deserve to be protected and they don't deserve to spend countless hours chasing down drug suppliers and purchasers with an unlimited supply of drugs. It's disgusting and we got to do something about it ... quickly," the mayor said. "This government, both on federal and state level, don't want to do anything about getting these drugs off the streets and getting them out of the hands of criminals."

Also sounds like to me that the Mayor is placing a lot of blame on others for his failures and inability to fix the cities problems.

Oh I totally get where you're coming from, I'm just trying to point out assumptions. IMHO assumptions on either side of an argument are a bad deal and can lead to misinformation. That's all I'm saying here.

Also your drug quote cracked me up, but looking at it deeper that quote isn't really our of place or unrealistic if you really think about it (think about opiates). But that's a whole other conversation right there!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back