Yeti GOBOX Collection

Stances on Bison?

the only rancher I personally know that has dealt with brucellosis was in the GYE and admitted he just didn’t want to spend the money to vaccinate despite knowing he had potential for contact. He was very quick to blame elk and want more ways to hunt/kill them on his property, especially bulls in the fall. To me it seemed much easier for him to just pay up and vaccinate but that probably would cut into his beer and cigarette budget

He may not want to sell his livestock then, as the Dept of Livestock will be significantly unimpressed.

I like bison hunting. My office mate? Not so much.

Complicated question with complicated answers. Are there opportunities for additional bison herds in the worst? Absolutely. But, it will take concessions from landowners and outdoorsman.

FE1193B3-8C13-49E7-B11E-E2709735C36E.jpeg

Their Latin name is bison bison. For hundreds of years here in America we called them Buffalo. We had the buffalo nickel, Buffalo NY, Buffalo Wy, etc. How many other animals do we call by their Latin name? In recent years biologists have been calling them bison because they are not a true buffalo like the African Cape buffalo or the Asian Water buffalo. So what? Just call them American Buffalo like we've been doing for hundreds of years.

As for buffalo not jumping fences, THEY DO! They can (and do) break down wire fences. The perimeter fences on the Flyinbg D Ranch are just 4 strand barb wire. I have a picture that my son took many years ago of a bull bullalo in mid air jumging a fence on the Flying D.

A friend of mine is a hunting guide on the Flying D, and I have another friend that worked both on the Flying D and Truner's Snowcrest Ranch feeding and managing the buffalo there. Both of those guys have many stories of buffalo jumping and going through fences.

I also think that it would be great if buffalo were restored to their historic range. Unfortunately our modern society wouldn't allo

No, the fact is that occasionally buffalo do get off the Flying D onto neighbor's property which cause a problem with that neighbor. That's how I got my buffalo. I had heard of one of these cases so I went to Rob Arnaud's office in Gallatin Gateway, and asked to be put on a roster for one on those buffalo. They told me that it wasn't very often when a bull ventures onto a neighbor's property, but they did have a culling operation where they offered discounted hunts for problem bulls or old bulls that were not high trophy quality. So I shot one of them and although he may have worn a few inches of his horn tips off, he is still a great trophy to me.

What I meant by "modern society" is all of the factors that you listed: "pavement, subdivisions, ranchettes, residential and commercial developments constituting the growing constant hardscape" that were not in existence 150+ years ago when the great herds of buffalo roamed freely over the western pla

Funny how we pick and choose which animals we would like to see re-introduced into their historic range. There is no way bison could ever return to their historic range with all the highways, fences and most of all people.
Do you fee the same way about wolves and grizzly bears?

View attachment 190853View attachment 190854
Let it rip!

Cows in Hawaii... Alaska those ones in NM? Obviously some are recently escaped and branded, but my cursory googling suggests there are at least a thousand born feral cows in the US.
HI is an island that has natural defences against most things; imported animals are quarantined prior to admitance - not saying its imposible but could be improbable - if you didn't bring it there it's not there.

Back to the original question.

I like to have my feet wider than shoulder width, left in front of right, with knees slightly bent. Bison call for a bigger caliber, so I lean at the waist toward that front foot a little.
Not my choice of calibers (I shot my buffalo with a .54 caliber bullet), but I have several friends who have shot multiple buffalo with their .22-250s. One of my friends shot a bull buffalo in Custer State Park and another bull on the Flying D, both with his .22-250. The Feds confiscated his Flying D buffalo because they said it had some disease (I don't think that it was Brucellosis) and the D gave him another hunt. My friend used his big gun, a .270 Win, for that hunt because Jason Matzinger was filming the hunt for his TV show.

My stance is they taste good and wish I would dare a tag someday. I would love to see more of them on the landscape. Alas I don’t think I will live to see that with big cattle’s strangle hold on the west.

Hunting bison would be amazing. I would love to take one with my bow. Would be a hell of a pack out if you arnt somewhere you can get a truck/lift to it.

I like them just fine, but not really interested in hunting them and I'm the odd guy out that doesn't find them particularly tasty either. Frankly, if you don't need a buffalo robe, I don't see the attraction.

I'd like to get a free range bison someday, whatever that means in our current situation. Not really interested in shooting a domesticated bison in a field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back