MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Stabilizers

TRS_Montana

Anyone swear by a certain brand or type of stabilizer? From what I have read, the longer stabilizers (~10 inches) are better. I have avoided them because it seems like it would be inconvenient when going through really thick brush or having to crawl up on an animal. If a good stabilizer makes a big difference, I am willing to reconsider.
Thanks!

I don't have much experience with different brands, so I can't touch upon that.

I did buy an 8" b-stinger stabilizer this past fall. Amazing what a difference it made. I was not a believer in it before using it, but man am I now. I was able to shoot farther and tighter groups than I ever have. IMO, it's one of the few peices of equipment that will instantly help you shoot better. I wish I would have bought the 10" instead, but I was worried about it getting in the way.

I was also worried about it being clunky, but it hasn't bothered me at all yet. My only gripe is the weight - it's fairly heavy. Before all the comments about that - it isn't a deal breaker and the weight to a certain extent helps too, but it does get bothersome lugging it around for miles at a time. I still believe it's worth the trouble with how much it helped me.

With that said, you likely won't notice a difference until you reach 40-50 yards. I mostly treestand hunt since I'm east, and I know it doesn't help a ton since my shots are likely less than 40 anyway. But if I'm in a tree, the weight doesn't bother me since I'm not lugging it around and it certainly doesn't hurt my shooting. I like to take trips out west and am still prepared for 50-60 yards shots should they come since I have it on.

Last edited:
I still like the $12 Limbsaver s-coil stabilizers. I've been using them for years. Even on my new Elite with 80# limbs it still does it's job and it's nice and compact.

I still like the $12 Limbsaver s-coil stabilizers. I've been using them for years. Even on my new Elite with 80# limbs it still does it's job and it's nice and compact.

This is what I have always used and it has served me well. I haven't ever shot a heaver/longer stabilizer, though.

A couple of compact stabilizers that look like they could provide some of the weight/length advantage are the Axion 2n1 hybrid and the Apex carbon core offset stabilizer. Has anyone used either of these?

I don't have much experience with different brands, so I can't touch upon that.

I did buy an 8" b-stinger stabilizer this past fall. Amazing what a difference it made. I was not a believer in it before using it, but man am I now. I was able to shoot farther and tighter groups than I ever have. IMO, it's one of the few peices of equipment that will instantly help you shoot better. I wish I would have bought the 10" instead, but I was worried about it getting in the way.

I was also worried about it being clunky, but it hasn't bothered me at all yet. My only gripe is the weight - it's fairly heavy. Before all the comments about that - it isn't a deal breaker and the weight to a certain extent helps too, but it does get bothersome lugging it around for miles at a time. I still believe it's worth the trouble with how much it helped me.

With that said, you likely won't notice a difference until you reach 40-50 yards. I mostly treestand hunt since I'm east, and I know it doesn't help a ton since my shots are likely less than 40 anyway. But if I'm in a tree, the weight doesn't bother me since I'm not lugging it around and it certainly doesn't hurt my shooting. I like to take trips out west and am still prepared for 50-60 yards shots should they come since I have it on.

I appreciate this perspective. Most of my archery hunting will be 3-15 miles of mild to hard hiking, so I am not sure I am excited to add on a lot of weight. Maybe I will go to the bow shop and see if they won't let me shoot with a few of the heavier stabilizers.

I use B-Stingers myself. They are good at absorbing vibration and adding a little forward weight to stabilize the bow. I have a 6" and an 8". Usually use the 6".

I would say a stabilizer is exactly like shooting sticks or a bipod on a gun... is it heavier, yes, can it be annoying at times, yes... does it help you make better shots, yes. If you tree stand hunt, I would say its overkill, but for western style of hunting where shots get out past 40yds, you will notice a difference.

Keep in mind stabilizers serve two roles, vibration dampening and stabilization. The small rubber ones mentioned above are great for vibration but do very little for stabilization. I hunt with a 10" b-stinger hunter extreme and I love it (Hoyt Carbon Spyder bow).

I went to cabelas and bought 5 different stabilizers, I then went home and shot all of them... even mix and matched some of them to make them longer (i.e. threaded a couple of stabilizers together). You can see the improvements immediately, then I simply returned the ones that I didn't like.

Buy the longest Doinker you can find. Your buddies will give you hell at the archery range but they work!

I had a 10 inch B-Stinger when I put my bow together. The dang thing got loose and fell off somewhere in the field. Went back to the range and shot w/o a stab and noticed very little difference in either my groups, noise or vibration. I shoot a Hoyt CS ZT, which is already pretty dead in the hand. Haven't decided if I'm going to pick another one up before next season or just shoot w/o it.

The primary use for a stabilzer is simply to stabilize thw bow at full draw, A look at the stabilizers that competition shooters use should help you understand how they can affect your shooting. A long, heavy stabilizer matched ot your bow can have huge impacts on your shooting. LIke everyone said, the improvement is gained at longer distances.

I have an 8" stabilizer with an added front weight. It rarely gets in the way and I hardly notice the weight. For western hunting it will make a big difference. At treestand distances, it still heolps, with the jitters, but not as much.

Most bow shops will let you test drive the stabilizers. If your options are at a big box store, then buy a few and try them out or takl to some other shooters at the bow range.

I don't know...I gave up on a stabilizer. It was too much in steep country. Kept hanging up on everything. That said, I never noticed a big improvement in accuracy, so I just couldn't justify the slight inconvenience and added weight. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Try crossover stabilizers from crossroad archery. Carbon and adjustable. I shoot the 1017 with a quick connect and 4oz weight. Shorten it while whitetail hunting from a tree stand, extend it when stalking out West. So far it's performed flawlessly in both situations.

I have a 10" B-stinger on my carbon overdrive, and I love it. It definitely helps my accuracy at longer ranges, and is worth its weight in gold under windy conditions. I have a doinker dish on my PSE Vision that I use for shooting spots. It is great at the range, but I wouldn't want to hunt with it.

I picked up a 12" Cabelas brand the other day for 35$, retailed for 90$. If you have one close it was in the bargain cave and so far I love it. I don't think it will be any issue with maneuverability, and the difference it made was outstanding.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back