Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Squirrel hunting hot weather.

DouglasR

So last year I picked up late season, backcountry squirrel hunting as a way to stay in shape/ get in shape to go elk hunting this September. I go about this by loading my pack with like 40lbs then walking around the local state park for 3-4 hrs with a 20 gauge, shooting whatever squirrels I can complete successful “stalks” on. Anyways, since i was doing this in February last year it was always below freezing so I would just throw the squirrels in my pack and not worry about cleaning them until I got home 4-5 hrs later.
Back to my point, squirrel season just opened up here in Illinois and I’m wanting to do the same thing.
How long would y’all let your squirrels go in like 85-90 degree weather without cleaning them or putting them on ice?
I’m thinking I’m gonna buy a cheap soft cooler or something to put ice in and carry in my backpack, but I can’t decide if I should skin them before putting them in the cooler or just toss them in there whole. That fur just gets everywhere and without having an abundant supply of paper towels and running water I feel like I could have a real mess on my hands while trying to clean them in the field.

I like the soft cooler idea and a couple of synthetic ice packs. I don't mind cleaning in the field. I can wash the hair off when I get home. I usually also quarter the squirrels then with a cleaver..

In February I hunted squirrels and pigs in temps from 60-70s. Obviously much cooler than now but was in the woods from dark to dark. As I would kill a squirrel or two I would stop and gut them. Rinse the cavity with standing water and keep hunting until I got back to the truck. Then put them on ice.

Maybe you can take a plastic bag with a couple small frozen water bottles in your pack. Put the squirrels in that or even gut them first and then put them in. Should be fine. On evening hunts when planning to squirrel hunt the next morning, I've put the evening squirrels in the fridge whole without gutting and clean them after the morning hunt. Haven't had an issue with spoilage yet.

My father-in-law is a bit of a squirrel connoisseur. He carries a couple of wet rags and a water bottle. As soon as the squirrel hits the ground he pulls its pajamas off and throws it into a big ziplock full of ice. His theory is that squirrels are always easier to skin when they are fresh and then he doesn't have to worry about meat spoilage.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I’m gonna be practicing my cleaning and trying to get them skinned and on ice in the field. Thinking I might do a trial run with a 2 gallon freezer bag with loose ice or frozen water bottles and see how it goes.
Thanks again, hope everyone’s having a great summer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back