Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spur of the moment

1 maybe 1.5 days left to go. Coming together now. Making calls to various stores confirming licence sales options and their store hours. Likely will stop for that in Limon, CO.

I am circling back to ditch some excess gear that I don’t need for shorter trips, like complicated food prep. Basically it will be Cliff bars, instant mashed potatoes, heat and serve rice, fruit cups, chicken noodle soup (add boiling water), instant coffee, sardines, walnuts, almonds, pecans. No dairy. Don’t need to bring butter, eggs, oil, fresh fruit, bread, items requiring refrigeration etc. I’ll survive fine for 5 days. Losing a few pounds to get to fight weight would be a good thing. Still want to have energy though.

I’ll be taking some chances with less “what if” gear in this trip than usual. But still a basic tool kit, 2 spares, 5 gallons of gas. Maybe charge up a spare battery, it actually saved me a BIG headache having one last time. Was like a nascar pit stop!

Processing gear will be limited to knives, cutting boards and gallon ziplocks. Crude chunks until I get it home.

If anybody sees me in the woods I’ll be wearing super cool (🤣) prescription safety glasses that I had hoped never to need in public. no time to replace my normal eyewear, packing my scratched up glasses as my spare. Luckily I am going solo so the chance of paparazzi posting any candids is nil. So vain am I.

Not bringing a spotter. Hunting timber mostly.

And so on…

An important issue at home is on my mind though, my wife is going in for some tests tomorrow, she has some unexpected health issues that have come up. Not sure what the test/imaging will show. We hope all is fine. But if she needs me here, that is the only reason this trip plan would change at this point.

1 maybe 1.5 days left to go. Coming together now. Making calls to various stores confirming licence sales options and their store hours. Likely will stop for that in Limon, CO.

I am circling back to ditch some excess gear that I don’t need for shorter trips, like complicated food prep. Basically it will be Cliff bars, instant mashed potatoes, heat and serve rice, fruit cups, chicken noodle soup (add boiling water), instant coffee, sardines, walnuts, almonds, pecans. No dairy. Don’t need to bring butter, eggs, oil, fresh fruit, bread, items requiring refrigeration etc. I’ll survive fine for 5 days. Losing a few pounds to get to fight weight would be a good thing. Still want to have energy though.

I’ll be taking some chances with less “what if” gear in this trip than usual. But still a basic tool kit, 2 spares, 5 gallons of gas. Maybe charge up a spare battery, it actually saved me a BIG headache having one last time. Was like a nascar pit stop!

Processing gear will be limited to knives, cutting boards and gallon ziplocks. Crude chunks until I get it home.

If anybody sees me in the woods I’ll be wearing super cool (🤣) prescription safety glasses that I had hoped never to need in public. no time to replace my normal eyewear, packing my scratched up glasses as my spare. Luckily I am going solo so the chance of paparazzi posting any candids is nil. So vain am I.

Not bringing a spotter. Hunting timber mostly.

And so on…

An important issue at home is on my mind though, my wife is going in for some tests tomorrow, she has some unexpected health issues that have come up. Not sure what the test/imaging will show. We hope all is fine. But if she needs me here, that is the only reason this trip plan would change at this point.
All the best to your wife. Hope things work out.

If you're camping out of your rig, take some canned meat. I don't see enough protein in your food list. Chicken soup ain't gonna cut it. Canned sockeye (pink salmon is ugh!) and chicken/turkey would be my choice. Or good old boring (but cheap) tuna. You may be able to get canned beef too. Canned meat/fish is not great as is cold in a sandwich but not bad. The cans are small and anything in them not immediately used after opened will keep overnight if it's cool. Not sure why you're cutting out most of the carbs. Your body needs that stuff too. Take along multiple vitamins. They can make a difference when your body is getting stressed. And don't forget ibuprofen! 400mg those first couple of nights will help with soreness so you can get to sleep. I buy TV dinners and cook them in the trailer's micro when I'm hunting in Montana. Pretty much a balanced meal and nothing to clean up afterwards. I choose the ones with mixed vegetables, not corn. I always had dried milk in my backcountry camp. It's an acquired taste but DEFINITELY helps with soreness. Keep in mind that calcium ions are the exchange mechanism for getting food and oxygen from blood into muscle cells. Short on calcium and you will be cramping, I guarantee it! You do NOT want that. I suppose if you really can't stand milk, you can take along a small jar of Tums or Rolaids. They are mostly calcium. You might want to consider canned fruit too. Some vitamin C and energy. Mandarin oranges can usually be had in small cans. There's also, sliced peaches, pears, grapefruit, and fruit cocktail. That stuff will keep very well after the can is opened. Just cover and keep the flies out of it.

Last edited:
Drove through nearly to Kansas City, about 1100 miles. Schedule slipped all day, particularly thanks to a two hour standstill on Rt.70 as DOT stacked Jersey barriers with a HUGE crane. How appropriate. Jersey barriers. Indeed they were.

What is worse though, the drive, or finally getting to an overnight hotel and some much needed sleep, only to turn on the shower and have this shoot out of the spigot…

14A0DFCA-B1BD-49C0-9BAC-1F829BA1D636.png

Brown recluse is my first kill on the trip. It was him or me, so to speak.

Tired dumb brain on one shoulder is telling me the odds of finding two in the same hotel room are slim.

Tired but still intelligent other side of brain is telling me that there is no better hotel room to find more than the room in which you already found one.

Going with the dumb brain tonight… after shaking out the sheets twice.

Hope this was not an omen of things to come….

I pulled up into camp a little later than I had hoped, about an hour before dark. Happy I had some light but no time to look around. I took a few shots with the bow to check it - all good. As I am setting up the tent and pulling gear, it starts to lightly rain. Perfect! Just enough to get everything damp.

738F413D-6B76-49FA-A94C-B17D4701CB29.jpeg

I’m camped above 10000. Feeling a little light headed if I bend over
or stand suddenly. I am trusting that the overnight sleep will help
acclimate me. Usually does, but I am far from in mountain shape. I literally did nothing to prepare physically for this trip. Partly I wonder if I may die from this. It’s not out of the question! My blood
pressure has been running high, and I have not felt that good lately. Truthfully, this is one of the reasons I wanted to do this trip…. to conquer the fear that I couldn’t pull it off anymore.

I settle in for the night, and the rain increases and goes all night, tent holds up but there is water seeping in from beneath. I think I might have heard some cow chirps at some point in the night. Faint. Maybe squeaky trees. But sounded like chirps. The rain stops before dawn. I head out into the misty fog.

I started down a closed logging road (a la Randy’s trick) and shortly veer
off as I make my way up and up. Lack of preparation be damned, I am going for the summit above 11K.
It’s foggy and everything is wet and quiet. Wind in my face. Halfway up I find this:
1A59D6E1-072C-491F-87E2-E8488F25D0CA.jpeg

and this:

BDE25DCB-F750-4B15-85AC-374479320214.jpeg

It’s steep, I’m hurting. But one foot in front of the other….

C9CB8FC0-CBD6-4125-AF29-0C5D69523B35.jpeg

Only a few hundred more feet to the top and it’s only the first hour or two…

I am BEAT. About 7 hours sleep over past two days. Not the best way to prep for a trip departing soon.

The long haul can be intimidating when going by myself with a tight window of opportunity. I may take the southern route to avoid any Chicago area traffic issues. Adds only about 15 miles. Worth it.

Also, while perusing Google Earth, it dawned on me that I am 1000 miles (1000!) closer to Hudson Bay polar bears and caribou and about 500 miles closer to Havana, Cuba, and 200 miles closer to Greenland than I am to my Colorado elk spots. I’ll have plenty of time on the drive to chew on that perspective.
View attachment 194554
The drive will be the biggest risk of your trip. I am driving back from NM currently and saw a few accidents in Kansas City on my drive through there this afternoon. Absolutely avoid Chicago whenever possible.

I pulled up into camp a little later than I had hoped, about an hour before dark. Happy I had some light but no time to look around. I took a few shots with the bow to check it - all good. As I am setting up the tent and pulling gear, it starts to lightly rain. Perfect! Just enough to get everything damp.

View attachment 195211

I’m camped above 10000. Feeling a little light headed if I bend over
or stand suddenly. I am trusting that the overnight sleep will help
acclimate me. Usually does, but I am far from in mountain shape. I literally did nothing to prepare physically for this trip. Partly I wonder if I may die from this. It’s not out of the question! My blood
pressure has been running high, and I have not felt that good lately. Truthfully, this is one of the reasons I wanted to do this trip…. to conquer the fear that I couldn’t pull it off anymore.

I settle in for the night, and the rain increases and goes all night, tent holds up but there is water seeping in from beneath. I think I might have heard some cow chirps at some point in the night. Faint. Maybe squeaky trees. But sounded like chirps. The rain stops before dawn. I head out into the misty fog.

I started down a closed logging road (a la Randy’s trick) and shortly veer
off as I make my way up and up. Lack of preparation be damned, I am going for the summit above 11K.
It’s foggy and everything is wet and quiet. Wind in my face. Halfway up I find this:
View attachment 195210

and this:

View attachment 195212

It’s steep, I’m hurting. But one foot in front of the other….

View attachment 195213

Only a few hundred more feet to the top and it’s only the first hour or two…
Hmmm. Blood pressure history and "not feeling good?" I'm not feeling good about encouraging you to do this solo. Don't push the envelope. You've got nothing to prove. Take it easy and have a good time.

I won’t hold you responsible Ontario! Anyhow, I am still kicking ass on these mountains as of Thursday for the moment….teaser….. I just wish my aim was more true.

Day 1 cont…..

Got to the top to a nice bench with a little sign here and there. Foggy, misty wind blowing in my face. I stalked along for an hour or so before the bench forked off down to a small lake I wanted to look at.

After that, I continued away and then drifted down the slope the where it opened up into a series of meadows and patches of pine, overlooking lower basins of aspen. I was at the point where I had to turn around and head back, about 3 miles in. As I hiked I cow called occasionally if I broke a stick. It was noon and I had already eaten my food, and wasn’t planning on hunting out here all day. I sat on a log to ponder why I had come so far so ill provisioned.

Of course, that’s when a bull bugled (probably from its bed) about 200 yards from me.

9EBA84FC-9AF0-4751-8512-4865CE369006.jpeg

Bull bugling within 200 yards on 1st day? Is this my happy face? No. It is not. Digging the safety glasses though!

1) It’s noon
2) Wind is towards him
3) I am out if food
4) I am too far from the trail to get him out myself.
So I leave him for somebody else.

Best. Decision. Ever.

That hike out was tortuous. Probably about 5 miles given the landslide crevasses and stream ravines and just general western stuff. Day 1. Too much. I was hurting and struggling to make out before dark. Thankfully I didn’t wait on the bull and try to do it in the dark. Let alone if I had to pack meat. By 4:00 I was daydreaming about food simply because I badly needed fuel. Anything. I nibbled on rose hips, which actually helped my mood. I crawled out to the trail around 5 pm. Another 1/2 mile to the truck. Onyx says it was a 9.4 mile day. Felt like 20. Wolfed down sardines, made some rice, ate other snacks. Crawled into tent and slept for the next 12 hours.

Keep it up! My 'big hunt' was also cancelled and on a whim I'm looking to travel south to the lower 48 to join my buddy for a Mule Deer hunt he has wanted to do but hasn't wanted to do alone. Looking to buy everything now and be gone in 3 weeks - need to get some prep done!

Keep up the updates, play it smart and enjoy the heck out of this!!!

View attachment 195323

Bull bugling within 200 yards on 1st day? Is this my happy face? No. It is not. Digging the safety glasses though!

1) It’s noon
2) Wind is towards him
3) I am out if food
4) I am too far from the trail to get him out myself.
So I leave him for somebody else.

Best. Decision. Ever.

That hike out was tortuous. Probably about 5 miles given the landslide crevasses and stream ravines and just general western stuff. Day 1. Too much. I was hurting and struggling to make out before dark. Thankfully I didn’t wait on the bull and try to do it in the dark. Let alone if I had to pack meat. By 4:00 I was daydreaming about food simply because I badly needed fuel. Anything. I nibbled on rose hips, which actually helped my mood. I crawled out to the trail around 5 pm. Another 1/2 mile to the truck. Onyx says it was a 9.4 mile day. Felt like 20. Wolfed down sardines, made some rice, ate other snacks. Crawled into tent and slept for the next 12 hours.
Back in my Army days we had a name for those hideous govt issue things: Birth Control Glasses. Now I see they're all the rage among the young gals. Almost as dopey as covering their bodies with tattoo ink. Yuk!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back