Spring Squirrel Season

CMF

Who's hunting squirrels this spring? We hit some National Forest land here in Mississippi Saturday morning, but only managed to kill one, missed two more and then the wind picked up.

We also forgot to bring any calls. Do you have a go to call in the spring or particular spring strategy?

I didn't realize so many states had spring squirrel seasons, and parts of Texas are open all year, you can read more here, https://youthoutdooradventure.com/blogs/youth-hunting/spring-squirrel-season

Who's hunting squirrels this spring? We hit some National Forest land here in Mississippi Saturday morning, but only managed to kill one, missed two more and then the wind picked up.

We also forgot to bring any calls. Do you have a go to call in the spring or particular spring strategy?

I didn't realize so many states had spring squirrel seasons, and parts of Texas are open all year, you can read more here, https://youthoutdooradventure.com/blogs/youth-hunting/spring-squirrel-season
Nothing but pine squirrels up here, but my buddy used to run his lab and tree them. Pretty fun way to hunt them.

I've been meaning to get to KY or TN for a spring squirrel hunt, but the boys baseball (usually) and this year 'Rona keep getting in the way. Think it'd be a fun departure from what I'm used to.

Been after them with my young cur dog in Louisiana and Homochitto in MS. It’s mostly training with a gun. Seen 2 out of a bunch of trees and didn’t get a shot on either.

Got out this afternoon with my mt Feist pup. Got some cool but rainy weather so I'll probly be out tmro and Thursday here in KY.

Won't be in here till June. It seems a bit later than others but still pretty fun. See a bunch but hard to get in all the leaves at that time.

In Montana fox squirrels are non native and open year round! With bear season coming to a close I will likely switch to squirrel for a few months.

We do not have alot of them but you get into pockets along the Yellowstone river and can have lots of fun.

I hope y'all have a great season down there. Hoping I get to come back to MS and deer and squirrel hunt this winter.

In Montana fox squirrels are non native and open year round! With bear season coming to a close I will likely switch to squirrel for a few months.

We do not have alot of them but you get into pockets along the Yellowstone river and can have lots of fun.
I've heard rumors of this. I actually have a few spots picked out along the yellowstone.

I've heard rumors of this. I actually have a few spots picked out along the yellowstone.
I have one spot that has cottontails and squirrels which are two of my favorite wild game animals to eat so I make it a point to hit it at least once a year.

Been after them with my young cur dog in Louisiana and Homochitto in MS. It’s mostly training with a gun. Seen 2 out of a bunch of trees and didn’t get a shot on either.

That's where our camp is in MS.

I’ll be back up there either Saturday or Monday if you’re interested in tagging along with me and the pup.
Man I'd love to, I really want to take the kids on a hunt with a dog, but we got some stuff planned already this weekend. I'll send you a pm.

It's funny, my area (Oregon) does not have a spring squirrel season per se. However, it does have a part of one unit that is never closed and has no bag limit. I talked to the ODFW about that and they said it was set up back in the 70's because the timber companies were getting hammered by an overabundance of squirrels causing damage to the pines. Most of the timber companies allow walk on access until fire season starts, then that area really shrinks to just a few small chunks of public land.

I ran into a mess of squirrels a few days ago while looking for jacks and to fill my wife's last Turkey tag. Shame we were nowhere near that region.

It's funny, my area (Oregon) does not have a spring squirrel season per se. However, it does have a part of one unit that is never closed and has no bag limit. I talked to the ODFW about that and they said it was set up back in the 70's because the timber companies were getting hammered by an overabundance of squirrels causing damage to the pines. Most of the timber companies allow walk on access until fire season starts, then that area really shrinks to just a few small chunks of public land.

I ran into a mess of squirrels a few days ago while looking for jacks and to fill my wife's last Turkey tag. Shame we were nowhere near that region.
Do you have fox and greys, or just pine squirrels?

Last edited:
East Texas squirrel season is about done. The rest of Texas is no closed season (season set by county). I may wander up to the grasslands and see if rabbits and squirrels will play. No closed season on rabbits either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back