Spotting scopes/backpack hunts

Timvz26

I have a vortex Razor 20x60x85mm that I have and love but holy cow that thing is heavy when going on a backpack hunt. Sometimes it is even over powered if you don’t have huge vantages to glass. I was considering getting the smaller power razor, 11x33x50mm I think. Does anyone use this or would you just use your binocular? Not sure if it’s worth the money or would it better used on other gear? What are your glassing set ups when backpacking in mid October elk hunts?

12x50 meoptas on a tripod......

One day I'm gonna get some 15s I don't see a point in wasting money on a smaller scope.

There’s a few places where I’ve carried a spotter to hunt elk, but in those places I’m using it to potentially save a lot of walking. I’m not that picky and on most general tag hunts I just bring my binos and often just balance them on a trekking pole instead of a tripod.

Archery hunting elk I don't bring a spotting scope. For everything else I do. Especially rifle hunting I use my spotting scope/tripod as a shooting rest. I have killed many animals that I have glassed up this way.

On backpack elk hunts goal is to go as lightweight as possible...i never pack a spotter. Even that little spotter and a tripod is 3/4 days of food or extra water, use ounces elsewhere WAY more effectively. Good clear binos are all you need, elk bulls are either big enough or not!

I guess i'm the minority here. I like taking a spotter with to be able to really cover country and to take some videos/photos through. Most of the hunting I do tends to be heavy on the glassing so the tripod would always go for the binos. I get the weight point, but am sure most people could cut the weight else where in there pack or just extra weight they have picked up during the off season.

I bought the angled 11x33x50mm a few years ago. Its light enough where if I know i'm going to do some glassing and have my tripod I usually bring it. It has helped identify rams in a group of barbary sheep. I was also able to get a better look at some muley bucks elk hunting this year. Which didn't help me elk hunting but was still fun haha.. I wouldn't pay full price for it though. I think I paid $500 for my used one. 99% of the time I'm carrying 10x42 binos in addition to having the spotter. I also bought a used razor 65mm spotter this year which im Interested in trying out some more.

I guess i'm the minority here. I like taking a spotter with to be able to really cover country and to take some videos/photos through. Most of the hunting I do tends to be heavy on the glassing so the tripod would always go for the binos. I get the weight point, but am sure most people could cut the weight else where in there pack or just extra weight they have picked up during the off season.
I agree, My spotter has never left my pack.

I have an angled Razor 11-33x50 that I've only taken on one hunt, when I went for Dagestan Tur in Azerbiajan. My guide didn't want to take the tripod so the scope wasn't much good. I also have an old 15x Bushnel that I've had for about 40 years. It's heavy but it's clearer than the Razor. I usually keep it set up in my front window for watching the deer and elk in the fields across from my house.

I usually bring a spotter antelope hunting, but only to spot from camp.

I've never carried a spotting scope while backpack hunting or when actually hunting deer, elk, sheep, goats, or even antelope.

For many years I only carried a pair of 8x23 or 9x24 Nikon pocket binocs. About 5 years ago I bought a pair of Nikon 10x42 Monarch binocs that I've carried on all of my hunts since I got them.

I've booked a brown bear and moose hunt in western Alaska in September and I'm thinking of bringing my 11-33 Razor scope because the area that I'll be hunting has a lot of open country.

I usually have a big spotter on backpack hunts, leave it behind on some elk trips, that’s about it. Have had 50 and 65 too, in the long run would just rather have one 65-80mm. I consider it part of the weight of doing business the way I like to do business.

I really like packing my leupold gold ring 12-40x60hd. Before I had it I always left the Meopta s2 back in the pickup because it was a tank for anything but pickup glassing.

I only have a small spotter and really don't use it hunting. I can't use it for long before my eye starts feeling weird. Great for the range and looking at deer up the hill in the backyard. I also am not looking for trophy animals, just legal antlers and in most cases I can tell that with my 10x binos. I may get a set of 15x or 18x binos down the line. A good set of binos on a tripod do really well IMO.

I have a vortex Razor 20x60x85mm that I have and love but holy cow that thing is heavy when going on a backpack hunt. Sometimes it is even over powered if you don’t have huge vantages to glass. I was considering getting the smaller power razor, 11x33x50mm I think. Does anyone use this or would you just use your binocular? Not sure if it’s worth the money or would it better used on other gear? What are your glassing set ups when backpacking in mid October elk hunts?
I have the 85 and 50, as well as a pair of 18s. That being said I have taken all combinations of those with my 10x42s. I use my 10x42s 98 percent of the time. Contrary to some of the others, I always bring a tripod. I have the outdoorsmans bino adaptor and glass off my tripod on the regular. Little to no eye fatigue but greatly increases what you can see. I have a goad hunt this fall and may hike with the 50 just in case I need to determine sex on a goat. May bring the 85 for the deer hunt where we are going to be glassing potentially a couple miles trying to find mature bucks. At the end of the day I will probably finish the season regretting bringing a spotter and again realize all I need is my binos and a tripod....

Reactions: JAG
If it was me, I'd sell the scope you have and put the money towards an alpha in the 65mm range, even if its used. Spending $ on a small scope or take the money from the first sale plus the extra you plan on spending and you'll be close to an Alpha scope and won't regret it. It will be lighter and equal clarity and you'll drop nearly a pound.

Small spotting scopes are useless IMO. A good pair of binos will work just as well. They are just too dim, once you crank them up past 15x and unless you drop a bunch of money on one, they don't have that great of glass and clarity won't be great. The only small one I would consider is Kowa.

For me the 65mm class scope is perfect for everything I do, and gives up little to the 80mm and the weight doesn't make me question why I pack it everywhere... I've never wished I had a bigger scope. YMMV.

for me it depends quite a bit on what elk hunt I'm on, if I'm shooting any legal bull I don't bring a scope, if I can't tell if it's a bull with binos I'm probably not interested, or I'll walk closer...
for hunts where I'm being picky a swaro 65mm comes along, I've drug along an 80 and never felt that it gave me enough advantage over the 65 to justify packing it very far...

I've owned a Nikon ED 50, Swaro 65 and Kowa 554 all for the exact purpose you are asking about. The Swaro was good, but I ended up getting rid of it for a Kowa 773 and the Kowa 554 with the 554 being for backpack hunts. I always ended up going back to the bigger scope, mostly because of field of view. I finally just said heck with it and bought a pair of Swaro SLC 15x56's and will never go back to a small spotter. Yes, they weigh a bit more than the small spotters, but the spotting ability with them on a tripod is 100X better. I actually will probably use them more than the 773 non backpacking, except for some certain situations where the big spotter is necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back