Caribou Gear

Spotting scope

dcamp

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a new spotting scope. I went to a sporting goods store and looked at the Vortex Razor HD. Does anyone have this model and are they happy with it. I want to be able to put it into a pack and hike with it. I would like to purchase one for $500-$600 range and wanted to see what everyone thought. thanks for the help.

VAspeedgoat

In that price range I would consider looking at something used to get quality optics. If this is to be used at long range, cheaper scopes will get blurry at higher magnifications.

ID_deerslayer

What is your magnification preference? I have the vortex viper 15-45x65 and am satisfied with it however I wish I had got the compact razor HD instead for my solo backpacking trips I do during archery season. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Schaaf

Keep your eyes open on forums like this, I recently bought the Razor HD 11-33x50 for under 550, shipped and still in new packaging.

quarterhorse

I have a Leupold 15x30x50 compact that I like. It is small enough that I keep it in my pack all the time. I've had larger scopes that eventually go left behind because I got tired of lugging them around.

ElkNut1

The Razor HD 11-33X50 is a great spotter at 25 oz. & goes for 585.00 - It's clarity & brightness is hard to be for a small unit, I use one too & am surprised at its very clear picture.

ElkNut1

Fire_9

I second the leupold 15-30x50. I have been using mine for the last five years and am pretty happy with it for the price. Picked mine up for $300 on ebay.

ccc23454

i have the 11-33 razor and LOVE it! 25oz's and crystal clear. at first i worried about light draw but not a problem at all. as a backpacking spotter i think its pretty hard to beat, i looked thru the leupold and didnt think much of it. there are times i wish i had more zoom but there is no way to gain that without adding weight. i also enjoy it as a truck window spotter, due to size and weight.

C

elkohalic

I had the 65 mm Viper and ended up selling it to get the 65 mm Razor. The Razor is a great spotter and the clarity is awesome in all light conditions. I wish I had went with the Razor the first time.

dcamp

Hi guys. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
this is a big help.

Bulldog0156

I've got a leupold Kenai 20-60x80 straight spotter that I'd be willing to part with since I don't think I'm going to need it anymore.

CWeeks

I have the Razor 15-45 x 65 and really like quality to the optics for the money, found new for $900 couple years ago. Friend has a Leica 20-60 x 80 I believe and it is hands down a better scope, but since I don't live out west and only use occasionally, I couldn't justify the cost.