Spotting Scope Thoughts

Flatlander3

So I am in the market for a spotting scope (within the next year), and do not have much knowledge on them besides forum reading. I know there are many forums covering this topic, but want to see opinions more personalized to my situation/uses.

The goal is to make it out west every year for either antelope, mule deer, and occasionally elk, but it may only be every other from time to time. I would be 99% of the time hunting from a truck, not backpacking in overnight, although each day I may be hiking from the truck a few miles. I would only be using it out west for a week at a time every year or every other, with the occasional use in the midwest each year.

I am a buy once cry once kind of guy, but definitely don't want to go over 2k. I originally gave myself a budget of $1000, but it seems like you get mid range optics for that, and I want to have a very nice image in the glass.

My thoughts as of now are getting a bigger objective, 80mm+/- being I'm not back packing overnight, just from the truck each day.

Here are the few I have been learning toward:

-Athlon Ares 20-60x85 UHD $600
-Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85
$1500
-Meopta Meopro 20-60 x80 $1600
-Meopta Meostar S2 82mm $2000

I would like to purchase one once and it last for most of my life (im under 30). For my planned uses, are the more spendy options not worth it, and better spent on tags and the family? Is 80mm to big for day trips packing? Any other options I don't list that I should look at?

Look forward to seeing your opinions.

Even though you are hunting from your truck it would be nice to have a smaller lighter spotting scope for throwing in your daypack to use in the field also. I would get one that serves well on both ends. I really like my Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. It has good glass and is rugged and light weight.

Be patient and wait for a deal, I recently bought a Swarovski ATS 65HD from a friend for way under $2,000. I researched for years and that led to me to used/demo Swarovski/Leica/Zeiss, Kowa, or the Meopta Meostar. I had just about settled on the Kowa 774, but my friend gave me a price on the Swaro that would have been stupid to walk away from.

A buddy I hunt with a lot has had that 85 Razor for about 3 years now. He’s not impressed with it and I’m not impressed with it. The only reason he hasn’t sold it is because the resale value is pretty bad.

Don’t forget to also budget for a good sturdy tripod. Spending $2k on top of the line glass doesn’t get you much if the scope is not sitting on a solid base.

Out of the ones that you have listed Meopta is really nice glass. I have the Meopta Meopro 80 HD. Very clear glass. David Petzal even said for it's price range very hard to beat.

If you need to stay around ~1500ish I would look at the Maven S1 or Leupold SX-5

When it comes to the lens size, it's not really necessary to go beyond 65mm or a zoom beyond 40 unless your are specifically wanting to use the optic to judge animals. Like if your planning on going to Alaska chasing dall sheep where your counting rings/judging full curl. Or same area, looking for that guaranteed 4 brow tine points making it a legal bull.

I have the Meopta S2 and I really like it, but sometimes I wish I had got the wide angle eyepiece.
Is it common now for spotters to have the glass and eyepiece seperate? Whats the seal with this recently? Is it a flexibly option?

I picked up the Meopta meopro a couple months ago and have been really happy with it. Had it set up next to a swaro for comparison and really didn’t see much difference looking at a hillside two miles away on 20 and 60 power.

You have received some great recommendations. I'll add my thoughts, for whatever you think. I have not been impressed with anything from Vortex for the price. If you are looking for another to add to the list, the Nikon Fieldscope ED series are very, very good glass for an incredible value. I have the ED 3 and it is impressive! I picked up one used for around $650. I don't see myself shopping for a spotter again unless they have some type of magical power in the future.

Is it common now for spotters to have the glass and eyepiece seperate? Whats the seal with this recently? Is it a flexibly option?
Yes, most of the top end brands sell them seperate so the user can choose what eyepiece they want. Check Camera Land NY and Eurooptic for deals on demo units from Kowa, Swarovski, meopta, etc. Last year Eurooptic had the last generation demo Swarovski 65mm bodies for like 1600 and the eyepiece for 400. It was a screaming deal, wish I could have snagged one.

I have a meopta and it has treated me very well. The swaro still beats it in that last 10 minutes of light. But in my opinion is great glass for the money. I have not been impressed with vortex at all.

I have the Cabelas branded Meopta S2. I had to shop for a while to find a used one in my budget, but I have no regrets. I have yet to see anything that I think is enough better to be worth the extra money. If you shop the used market I think you can probably find one in the $1500-$1700 range.

I have the Cabelas branded Meopta S2. I had to shop for a while to find a used one in my budget, but I have no regrets. I have yet to see anything that I think is enough better to be worth the extra money. If you shop the used market I think you can probably find one in the $1500-$1700 range.
Is that the euro scope thats on sale for $1900 right now?

Back