Caribou Gear Tarp

SPOT Tracker

Much2hunt

I spend a ton of time in the back country on my horses, which causing more concern as I get older with my sweetie.She gave me an early Christmas present, a SPOT satellite tracker,I activated the thing and have used it the last two weeks,it appears to work perfectly,allowing me to send home, I am OK messages,I am really impressed. Anyone using a SPOT second Gen? what do you think?

I have an old one...have not activated it for years...what does it cost these days and have you been able to use it in any "steep and deep" country yet? I think it is a great idea and could be a life saver someday!

I've had one for a couple years. Seems to work pretty well as long as the terrain isn't too steep. I had some issues with it way up north, as in not working even when I was near the top of a mountain.

I didn't bother with it this year and just went to the sat phone. They generally work pretty much every where.

I think for most trips the SPOT is a great investment. Just an FYI, they'll reactivate it for you every year unless you tell them not to...

My dad had one in Wyoming this year that never had a single message go through over 5 days... It worked earlier in the year in CA though...

Could have been operator error, or flagged as junk mail or something else but it is not something he is going to expect to save his life in an emergency.

I have a 2nd generation SPOT and have used it quite a bit in N. Central and SW Montana. No complaints thus far.

I tried it out in a steep canyon,had to send almost straight up,I tried it in the timber holding it under a small clear spot.it sent perfect each time. This model sends a text or an E-mail,my wife really likes the E-mail,she can click on the link and it goes straight to goggle maps and pin points my location.it costs a hundred bucks a year for the service. I live in south central Idaho,I haven't tried it anywhere else. So far I am impressed
M2h

I have the SPOT 2 and have been very impressed with it. You have to make sure it has time to send the message out but I've sent messages from some fairly deep country before with no problem. The only issue I had was one night I hit the sack late and forgot to send a message. Oops.

When you transmit a message, is there any indication that it has actually been picked up by the satellites?

When you transmit a message, is there any indication that it has actually been picked up by the satellites?

Yes..First you power it up,green light,then wait for a green satellite aquired light,then send message and the send light will remain steady when message is sent and stays that way for I believe 20 minutes so you can be sure it was sent,Only sends one personal message to your contacts at a time,they won't get a ton of I'm OK's with one send

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back