Yeti GOBOX Collection

Spot and Stalk Archery Muleys (It's Harder than It Looks!)

This season is year two of me chasing muleys with stick and string here in CO and I've yet to draw blood. I wanted to share my experiences here for a number of reasons. First, I feel like I need to vent. Second, I'm hoping new hunters can get an idea of what to expect and maybe some of my experiences can help others be successful.

Things I've learned:
1. Social media is full of shit. If Facebook is to be believed, everyone is shooting 200'' deer on opening day. I kinda liken this to a young woman who is bombarded with unobtainable standards of beauty in advertisments. It messes with your head if you think that you should be shooting a giant and all you're looking at is a few does. Then again, maybe I just suck.
2. Scout, scout, scout. The first thing I learned is to ignore just about all advice about units. Pull up some satellite photos of different units and see if the unit is actually huntable. Sure there are deer in dark timber, but good luck finding them before they wind you. Here's a good video explaining types of terrain to make you successful:
Last year, I took scouting for granted and figured the one nice buck I saw in July would still be there come opening day. Boy was I wrong!
3. Ignore everyone except your gut. Both this year and last I got lots of tips from people I felt were well meaning but that put me in spots where deer weren't. Instead of relying on my own data, I took these tips as gospel since these hunters have lots more experience than I do. This led to lots of miles covered with no sign.
4. Again, trust your gut. Last year I had a really nice buck at 15 yards. The problem was I didn't know he was there until he bolted. I was following a fresh trail (and knew from previous days where he liked to bed) and should have already ditched my pack and nocked an arrow. Instead, I had my head down following the track. Suffice it to say, if I was more attentive, I would have caught him in his bed and had a really easy shot.
5. More often than not, you will not be "successful" in terms of filling the freezer or racking up a taxidermy bill. That said, I've learned to measure success against only myself. Each day I'm out there I'm a better hunter than I was the day prior. As an example, last year I could go days without seeing a deer. This year I have yet to have a day where I didn't at least spot multiple does.
6. Hunt every year if you can. In CO, there are some sought after units that take five resident points. That said, I've found nice deer in units with leftover tags. Like I said in my previous point, I improve by trying and failing, so the more I'm out there, the better.
7. Everyone told me that optics are really important, but I will say that I've found some great offerings for folks like me on a budget. Just because you don't have $3,000 worth of glass with you doesn't mean you can't spot muleys.

Hope the rant helps someone and good luck!

Keep at it as sooner or later the stars will alien and it will happen for you. No law states that you have to shoot a big one as the steaks off of a forked horn sure will taste better than tag soup.

Anything you kill with an arrow is a trophy in my book, very few will ever take a 200+ buck. Agree with going with your gut and what you see on the ground, things change constantly and people are very protective of where they hunt so probably rare to get great advice unless you have a really good friend.

Archery hunting deer this year for the first time in about 7 years, 0/1 on stalks so far. Smoke shut me down for now. Keep at it, good luck.

Hey thanks for the quality after hunt debrief. Always good to share in some lessons learned. Good luck in rifle and next year.

Im finding myself in this boat as well. This is my first year hunting, im 31. Grew up fishing for trout my entire life and finally got the itch to go after big game after spending a week in an Ohio treestand (were from California) with my stepson who wanted to start hunting. I decided if i was gonna do this i wanted to be somewhat primitive and be an archery only hunter and bought myself a bow. I love it, i love shooting it, i love every aspect about it. But so far during archery and general season in california ive seen several does, 2 bucks, and not been able to get within 80 yards before being busted. Its frustrating and ive covered probably 100miles on foot in the wilderness looking for deer and bear (i have bear tag too). Seen tons of sign, but i think im in too dense of stuff. The wikderness i go to is about 8000-9000ft and its heavy trees and some open meadows. I know the deer are up there but im not getting it done and dont know if its my tactics and lack of skill/exp thats keeping my hunts unsuccesful or if this is just the way it goes...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back