Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sporterized 1903 a3 barrel replacement

Jc2020

I have an old sporterized 1903 a3 I’m thinking of having a new barrel put on I’m looking for barrel manufacturer recommendations I was hoping to find one in stock.

I was recently in exactly the same boat. My sporterized 03A3 has a two-land late WWII barrel that's pretty much done. All the few factory outlets for new barrels I could find are out of stock. I did find one site with a few military surplus four-land WWII barrels still packed in cosmoline. Two hundred bucks as I recall but you'd need a gunsmith to turn down and blue it. I bought an already sporterized used 4-land barrel off ebay for a hundred bucks delivered. A pig in a poke for sure but I got lucky. It's in very good shape. Unfortunately one gunsmith in town is dying of brain cancer and consequently the other guy is swamped cleaning up his backlog. He may still be able to get to it before I go to Africa late in the summer. Keeping my fingers crossed. I can still make it work as is but a bit dicey beyond 150 yards.

Only custom barrels I've ever had are the Jarger barrel on my 03A3 and a Shilen on a model 700. Jaeger is gone but I'd check again with Shilen in a heart beat. Probably what your gonna find is the go to barrel is like every thing else, depends on who you talk to. Lot of good barrel maker's out there today!

Thanks I’ll check eBay From what I was seeing from a google search most places were out of stock as well hopefully yours gets done in time for your Africa trip. If I don’t find one I may go the custom route I just hate to have to wait a long time to get one.

I've had good success with Douglas Barrels. They would probably have what you want available. Their air gauged xx bbls have all been MOA shooters or better in my customs.

have you considered a rebore to 338-06, 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62?

$350, including shipping from JES.
I hadn’t thought about that but that’s not a bad idea I may do that I just wonder about doing it with one of these older barrels
I've had good success with Douglas Barrels. They would probably have what you want available. Their air gauged xx bbls have all been MOA shooters or better in my customs.
I’ve never heard of them but I’ll look them up and see thanks

I hadn’t thought about that but that’s not a bad idea I may do that I just wonder about doing it with one of these older barrels

I’ve never heard of them but I’ll look them up and see thanks
Verify that the rifle barrel is original Smith Corona O3A3. My understanding is that 1940's barrels are of very good steel.

The original 1903s had some runs of marginal barrels.

Last edited:
Count the lands (grooves) in the rifling. Two lands were late production WWII. A shortcut to increase production. Four land were earlier. I have heard WWI barrels were hit and miss. Three lands = sniper rifle special. I have seen one of these from Camp Perry. One in original military configurement came up on ebay when I was shopping for a barrel. Leave those to the collectors.

If thinking about reboring, I'd go with 35 Whelen. Easier to find ammo. Not as easy as 06 but easier than most of the other wildcats.

Krieger makes 1903 replacement barrels. Not sure what your budget is, but the advertised price is $410.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back