Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spending Time Outdoors With a Young Family- Tips/Tricks

roravetz

Hello All,

I have a 3 month old son (first kid) and have been trying to think about how my wife and I can continue to spend as much time outdoors as we can with our newborn. I know it is going to be a challenge but does anyone have tips or tricks they learned to make being outdoors with a little one any easier? My wife enjoys fly fishing and being in the mountains and I know she would feel left out if I go away for a few weekends scouting and she is stuck at home. We camp quite a bit but it has always been tent camping. We have discussed getting an A Frame camper or small pop up. I feel like that might help ease my mind a little bit knowing they might be in a little bit safer/secure shelter if I was gone for a morning. Has there been any little pieces of gear that really help or that you have found to be a waste of money? Thanks in advance and if this has already been addressed in a previous forum I apologize.

@TRS_Montana had a good thread about this years ago.

My advice today would be similar to what it was then: Get a good kid-carrying backpack and don't skimp on it.

As to camping, whether in a tent or a camper, if your child is having a rough time, you will. Good luck!

Congrats.
This is one that I’m still working on but think we’ve been fairly successful so far.
Concur on investing in a good kid backpack. We had two and they allowed us to spend a lot of time hiking and exploring. One had a roof that could be put up and was used when the weather did not cooperate-surprisingly really came in handy on one trip.
One key I’ve learned is that you must make it fun for them and adjust what you might want to do.
It is appropriate and beneficial to still do your outdoor stuff and let them know that one day they can join you. You and the wife may need to rotate at times. Still challenging for us to do things together that the kids can’t do yet.
A few tips that have worked for me.
-Snacks, drinks, and breaks are game changers.
-Kids own water bottle.
-Smores and campfires.
-Hot chocolate
-Kids own sleeping bag And camp chair.
-Tents can be setup in living rooms and backyards
-Thermacells for mosquitos.
-Let kids play in the bait bucket, yes they will kill a lot of bait but it will keep them entertained. Get them use to dead bait first and next thing you know they will be playing with live bait like champs.
- If allowed take kids seining or buy them a net to catch baitfish.
-If fishing the kids need to catch fish, size does not matter, catch rate does.
- Good weather when feasible. When not feasible try to bundle them up.
- Rain jackets, rain boots, and umbrellas kids love - let them play in the mud.
- BOB stroller- really expensive- but was critical for us for many years and covered lots of miles. Look for one used if you decide to get one.
-Point out all the animals, insects, deer rubs, scrapes, etc.
-When they get older pamphlets on animal tracks, Droppings, and flowers.
Have fun! I look forward to following this thread.

This might sound dumb, but one of the best pieces of outdoor gear for a baby is a high quality jogging stroller. I suggest one with big wheels and a swiveling front wheel for a little more trail capability.

Of all the $ spent on baby stuff for the first few years, that was the best bang for the buck- especially for outdoor activities. Instant nap spot too if you’re out and they need one, and a great gear hauler.

I know its a little early for you but my advice to new dads - If hunting/fishing/hiking/sports/etc with your kids is about you (you filling your tag, you catching your limit, you pushing the distance on that hike, you being the dad of a winner), then you have a good chance of pushing your kids away. It has to be about your kid's experience not them being drug along or pushed while you fulfill your wishes. If you are a hard charging hunter or an always on competitor who has to have everything done just so, I suggest you take separate trips - get your stuff done alone or with buddies, and take a separate trip to have fun with your kids. I've seen a lot of parents turn their kids off of all kinds of stuff because they couldn't get out of the way and let the kids have fun and learn.

Things will change but it’s all good. The wife and I used to love spending the night on our boat at an anchorage eating the days catch, listening to some Nugent, having some cocktails and basically talking about how cool we were. Then when Justin was born that ended. We tried. He had zero fear of the water. He’d crawl right off the boat if you weren’t watching him every second. No more cocktails for us while he was onboard. I sold the boat. We took him shore fishing, camping, hunting, 4 wheeling and he loved it. We made him the center of attention much of the time but we enjoyed it too. It was just different. He is 21 now and still my hunting and fishing buddy. My advice is take your kid outdoors everywhere you can. They will get hooked on the outdoors. They learn respect, they stay close to the family, they becone self supporting and have good values. They just learn to figure stuff out for themselves better. Ever see a bunch of city teenagers on the side of the freeway scratching their heads trying to figure out how to change a flat tire? That won’t happen if you take your kid on outdoor adventures all the time. Enjoy them!

I’m about a year ahead of you in the baby front. Lots of good advice so far. Big one for us has been the baby carrying backpack. Hard to do an over nighter with a little little, but day hikes are a blast.

You are correct, tenting can be rough, but doable. We’ve gotten a topper for the truck, and I built a simple set of drawers in the back. Throw a 4” foam mattress on top and the three of us snuggle up in a 2-person sleeping bag. That’ll get you well past the first couple years.

The best advice I was given was start small then work to big as they grow. Skip the 5 day backpacking trips for now, and do 5 single day trips.

6731FA66-BCB3-4430-9DB4-61B90DD119CF.jpeg

Great ideas guys. I’m starting to work grand kids in now. Amazing how much easier it is the second time around. Don’t push, hold them accountable, make it fun.

Hire a 16-20 year old Mother's helper (short of a nanny) and bring her on the camping trips. Then you and your wife can go watch the sunset and canoodle and maintain that relationship.

Backpack carrier, and port-a-crib and you are all set for hiking, fishing, camping, scouting. Whoever has the kid on their back, probably fly fishing not the best idea. I've done LOTS of 3D archery shoots, hikes, etc all with a rug-rat on my back. Bring snacks, drinks etc. and skip the bad weather.

And just for fun, go ahead, just try shooting your bow with a curious kid on your back :)

About all I wouldn't try is hunting, to loud when you shoot, though we have friends who brought a newborn archery hunting in a ground blind.

As they get older, you load up your pack with books in addition to the snacks. I've sat multiple times on teh ground back to a tree deer "hunting" with a little guy in my lap quietly reading a book.

All good, your expectations just change.

+1 on the backpack carrier. I had a Kelty something or other and we used it a lot when the kids were little. We used a pop up camper for a lot of years, and I think it was worth going a little extra on one with a cartridge toilet and handheld shower. Kids puke sometimes, and others things.

Whatever you do, just get out there. Some camping trips will be a bust, others will be great. Your kids will certainly not forget it as they get older. My kids are 13, (almost) 12, and 9. My 2 youngest are very outdoorsy and love to hike, hunt, and fish. My oldest daughter is decidedly not, but the funny thing is she still loves camping.

20200418_161354.jpg

Man...thanks for tagging that old thread, @Nameless Range. We just had our third, and it's crazy to look back on who I was/we were back then.
I definitely agree with the kid carrier advice. I just ordered a piggyback-style carrier for my 4-yr old that he stands on. It's the only way to get more than 1 mile from the car, and it's a good workout!

Also, my advice at this point, is to not get too focused on how to get your kids to do something. I think being outdoors is pretty crucial, but if they don't like to hunt, they don't like to hunt. My oldest (4 yrs) is obsessed with hunting. My middle (2 yrs) is obsessed with bugs. I have a lot of fun hunting with Oliver, but usually end up looking for bugs with Jasper. I'm slowly starting to learn that I enjoy both adventures equally, if I let myself.

And also...don't be afraid to be honest about the aspects of parenting a newborn that just suck. It's hard. It gets easier.

I definitely agree with the kid carrier advice. I just ordered a piggyback-style carrier for my 4-yr old that he stands on. It's the only way to get more than 1 mile from the car, and it's a good workout!

I’d love to hear how the double pack works for you. I’ve been thinking about getting one for my own two and four year olds.

Our daughter loves camping. They need their own sleeping pad, pack n play, or equivalent though. Cosleeping isn’t always transferable to the field since it’s new, different, fun, etc, and they can keep you up half the night. We did several short hikes in a day rather than a long slog, so we could break it up between exploring on the ground, toys, snacks, etc. Try to incorporate time playing in or near water, this is almost always a hit. Have fun!

Tons of good advice in this thread and the linked one too!

My kids are 4 and 6 now, it's easier to get out on my own now than it was a few years ago, and you'll get there too.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere, "You can either go fishing, or you can take a kid fishing." (Fishing can be replaced w hunting/hiking/paddling etc.)

When it's just you it can be about the challenge, success, perseverance, etc. All those things that bring us back to the outdoors again and again. Communicate with your spouse about that time you need to be away, you'll need to compromise and allow her time to do things for herself too--Keeps everyone sane.

When you take your kid(s), make it about them and having fun. Catch rate is most important, lots of snacks, let them play with the decoys/bait/puddles etc. Always try to end it while they're still having fun and they'll be more likely to keep coming back with you.

Most important, enjoy it all. It goes fast--I can already see that.

Snacks, blankets, toys, and a jogging stroller. Look funny pushing a jogging stroller out hunting but it works. Our girls have been going with us since they were 3 months old. Just have to remember that when they are done so are you. Don’t want them to hate it.5C91FE85-8AC7-4575-90F2-D91CD0ACA45A.jpegE938A847-5AFA-4BC7-9404-0517E15B9935.jpeg007585D0-3F34-4B09-B20F-EE403F303963.jpeg8C9094A9-35A4-4924-B16E-DAE8E636B405.jpeg70B7259D-D72F-43F0-83CE-47CB888906AC.jpeg64221612-2A1D-4148-BCF5-25D3557DDA5D.jpegCC80637A-7CA9-4AFE-9C24-E8007FE75FFA.jpegD1086A5D-6786-435C-94D8-DF5C165E64E7.jpegB8B1829D-BFF7-4A87-9AA8-BD0DBB92525D.jpeg0E97C0B7-30EE-49AD-B339-5A11137FF71F.jpeg

Having camped with kids and grandkids, I echo much of what has already been suggested. When fishing with young ones, put aside your pole and focus on teaching and keeping rod and reel working for them and exuberantly celebrating any success. Later as they become proficient, then your fishing alongside is even more fun.

We always kept a bag of small figurines, small vehicles, and other toys to play with in the dirt. Brightly colored nerf toys are also a hit. Let those who want to play enjoy themselves. Let those who want to help become involved in the camping chores, teaching them the camp cleanliness and comfort techniques.

Spend some time telling stories around the campfire and as they are snuggling in for the night. Our adult kids and the grandkids all continue to want to hear the stories about Little Feather & Turkey Feather, two native american boys who sought the sage advice of the tribe elder, Gray Owl, and enjoyed many adventures fishing, hunting, and picking berries sharing the patch with farting bears. (the favorite story due to the sound effects)

We have found that focus on fun and learning for them really enhances our enjoyment. Planning and logistics is more challenging, but well worth the time and effort.

YNP & Fathers day 09 011.jpgYNP & Fathers day 09 022.jpg

https://davestories.wordpress.com/2018/03/04/kids-outdoor-gear-and-sanity-maintenance/

Some gear tips I've learned over a couple decades. Enjoy your kids now, they're out of the house before you know it.

Also, if you have any inkling of getting a camper of any sort, get it as early as you can. When they hit middle and certainly high school, their various activities suck up nearly all 52 weekends per year. I've lived it and seen it in others. Generally most of us are poorer when they're little, but that's when you'll have the most time with them.

Also, if you find various treasures when you're out without them, rocks, little antlers or skulls, feathers, etc., keep them and hide them in your own yard for the kids to find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back