Southern Wyoming Camping/fishing?

mdunc8

Just found out we’re going to have to cancel our trip home to visit with my folks at the beach this summer (too risky for my old man). My boys are pretty bummed they won’t be able to go crabbing and fishing with grandpa so I’m trying to come up with another trip. Assuming they can make it out from Indiana, we’re thinking about meeting up with some friends for some camping, hiking, and fishing along the Wyoming/Colorado border. None of us have ever been in that part of the world. Does anyone have any recommendations that would be good for a bunch of 7-10-year-old boys? For what it’s worth, we’ll be car camping. Thanks.

There’s no shortage of good fishing anywhere around Saratoga. The upper North Platte is great fishing, and the Encampment is a really fun smaller river. The Medicine Bow is a good small river too. Assuming you’ll be here in the summer there’s just about endless options for small lakes and streams to fish in the Snowy Range. For the kids it would probably be hard to beat catching brookies up high in the Snowies.

Hang around north park/Walden area, camp, fish, and hike in state forest state park, then jump the border towards encampment/saratoga and keep the fun going. Too much good stuff up in those areas to list

I'd book a float trip down the Platte, and soak in the hobo pools in Saratoga. Good times. Another place maybe to look in to is Flaming Gorge. Its not in Colorado, but very beautiful along the WY/UT border.

Yeah, there's more fish in the Snowies and Sierra Madres (and between) than you'll know what to do with. Pick a squiggly blue line and go for it. I'm not sure how up to date this map is based on species I've caught in various lakes, but it is a good starting point for the Snowies. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5340890.pdf

The Snowies were made for kids who like to explore. Fantastically fun fisheries & lots of land to crawl over.

Some of the higher lakes along 130 are stocked with some. Beautiful trout you won't catch down low.
As stated lots of great fishing and camping almost anywhere in the Snowies or over near Saratoga.

lake owen, Rob Roy and and any one of the small creeks/ streams in the snowy range is a great place to start. My 8 year old and 10 year old explore every summer up there.

We did good fishing in hog park reservoir while we were camped there elk hunting one year. Not much else around but would be good for a day trip or short stay.

Wow. That’s awesome guys. Thanks. After taking a quick look at the Snowies, they’ll serve as a great consolation prize to make up for the lack of blue crabs, redfish, waves, and putt-putt. Now it’s time to go find me some turkeys and pike!

Everyone knows southwest montana is where its at man.

Medicine Bow, it's an awesome area. I'm pretty sure I could spend two weeks there without a plan and never be bored.
X2...was in the medicine bow peak area last summer.....lots of fish, few people on weekdays(Sunday was busy), and hiking was very doable for kids. White twister tails..lol

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back