Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Southern Oregon Bear Hunting Mentor Needed

RG_Adult_Onset_Hunter

Apparently I live in the WMU for Southern Oregon that has the highest annual take for black bear each year. I'd like to be one of those folks but I am having a hard time putting it all together. I have found a fair amount of sign in the Evans Creek Unit, but I would like to hunt nearer to home in the Applegate WMU. The biggest hurdle I have had so far is finding experienced hunters willing to help out. I am not looking for someone's honey hole. But I am new to hunting in general and I know that there is ZERO substitute for first hand and hands on experience lent from mentors.

I am hoping to find someone willing to help me figure out how to find my own good bear spots and how to hunt them effectively. We don't allow baiting or hounds in this area (bummer on the second one in my opinion), so what advice can you lend for someone in my area (for finding mentors or bears)?

I thought I might take a second to refresh this post. I did not want to go into my reasons for wanting to do a bear hunt in the first place, but since I've had no luck I figure a bit of explanation might prove useful.

On December 14th 2018 I killed my first black bear, it was the worst night of my life. I will not go into the details of the event other than to say that it was a legal shooting of an animal in defense of livestock, and I was forced to put both the bear and my llama down. I will also say that the behavior of the bear was incredibly unusual do to an injury it had on it's tongue preventing it from foraging properly. The llama was a friend, and the bear was too thin to do anything with. It was a pointless waste of life. I wanted to hunt a black bear before that, but now, I need to.

I don't want revenge. I can't say that with enough emphasis. I want to put a bear in between me and that bear. I want to see one in the wild doing it's normal thing. And yes, I want to kill one and eat it. I just can't seem to figure them out on my own. So if anyone in Southern Oregon is feeling generous with their time or expertise, please feel free to reach out and let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks.

Just get up and glass clear cuts till you see one worth the trouble anytime of year. A bear coming off the hucks is fantastic table fair.

Just get up and glass clear cuts till you see one worth the trouble anytime of year. A bear coming off the hucks is fantastic table fair.

Ok, stupid question. What's a good way of finding clearcuts? I know one when I see one, but I honestly can't think of any in my WMU off hand.

Ok, stupid question. What's a good way of finding clearcuts? I know one when I see one, but I honestly can't think of any in my WMU off hand.

There is a good looking clear cut that you can see from I5 around Phoenix but I haven't figured the access out...

I'm planning on making a weekend trip into the rogue unit later in the season if you'd like to join.

I spent my break today on Google earth finding grassy clearings on south facing slopes. That's where you'll want to focus your glassing. I'll pm you a couple places to start.

I stopped hunting bear several years ago but I do know some spots. Mostly fall hunting spots when food sources tend to draw them to certain places at certain times. In the spring they are eating grass and other green plants which are growing everywhere so they are spread out. I wouldn't mind going out with you and showing you some places but I have started taking this social distancing more seriously now that cases are starting to pop up around here. If your pretty set with maps I could suggest some spots and maybe give you some tips but you will be on your own figuring it out out there. Send me a PM if you want to talk, I'm not going to mention any possibly good spots on an open forum.

There is a good looking clear cut that you can see from I5 around Phoenix but I haven't figured the access out...

I'm planning on making a weekend trip into the rogue unit later in the season if you'd like to join.

I spent my break today on Google earth finding grassy clearings on south facing slopes. That's where you'll want to focus your glassing. I'll pm you a couple places to start.

Access is sometimes the fun part. And yeah, I might take you up on that for the late season trip. I'll send you a PM in a bit with my particulars.

I stopped hunting bear several years ago but I do know some spots. Mostly fall hunting spots when food sources tend to draw them to certain places at certain times. In the spring they are eating grass and other green plants which are growing everywhere so they are spread out. I wouldn't mind going out with you and showing you some places but I have started taking this social distancing more seriously now that cases are starting to pop up around here. If your pretty set with maps I could suggest some spots and maybe give you some tips but you will be on your own figuring it out out there. Send me a PM if you want to talk, I'm not going to mention any possibly good spots on an open forum.

I have to be careful on the distancing too. I care for my grandparents who are in there 90's, one of which has about every condition known that would exacerbate this virus. I'll shoot you a PM to see if we can figure something out. Thanks.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back