Yeti GOBOX Collection

Southern Colorado coyotes

The Hollow

I live in Rye Colorado and have been hunting coyote in the Wet Mountains for the past few years and it has been slow. Any suggestions out there on where I can find some better hunting ground? I have been focusing on the lower country west of Greenhorn Mountain. Has anyone hunted the country around Texas Creek on the Arkansas River? Looking for land out east on the plains but a lot of the public land out there is land locked.

I almost exclusively hunt private land. Most of the public land around the Durango area is heavily pressured. With Hikers and other hunters. You would be surprised how many people will let you hunt predators on their property as long as you don't leave a mess. I will find a piece of private land that looks good and just go to knocking on doors. Just remember if they turn you down be extremely polite and offer up your phone number in case they change their mind. Sometimes after their favorite cat or dog goes missing they lose there love for predators and will give you a call. One warning you will get more no's then yes's. Just be nice and persistent and it will be great. Also night hunting is the absolute best way to hunt so make sure to ask if you can hunt at night. Good luck out there and enjoy!!

I almost exclusively hunt private land. Most of the public land around the Durango area is heavily pressured. With Hikers and other hunters. You would be surprised how many people will let you hunt predators on their property as long as you don't leave a mess. I will find a piece of private land that looks good and just go to knocking on doors. Just remember if they turn you down be extremely polite and offer up your phone number in case they change their mind. Sometimes after their favorite cat or dog goes missing they lose there love for predators and will give you a call. One warning you will get more no's then yes's. Just be nice and persistent and it will be great. Also night hunting is the absolute best way to hunt so make sure to ask if you can hunt at night. Good luck out there and enjoy!!
Ya I think I will knock on a few doors and see what happens. I have in the past and every once in awhile someone will say yes. When I was a kid I lived in Greeley and the ranchers were more than happy to let me go and shot prairie dogs but that was many years ago.

I was down by Picture/Carrizo canyon near Kim a few weeks ago and I had never heard as many coyotes at night in my life as I heard every night there. Lots of public too. Saw some hanging out in the juniper covered draws during the day.

Same here, we camped north of Kim and the yotes were everywhere at sundown. I’ve never heard so many. The turkey numbers are down again too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back