Southern border Coues units

badlander

I’m digging into an AZ Coues hunt next fall and am looking at some of the high % non-rut draw hunts down near the border, the same ones everyone puts down as their later pass draw options.

Reading up on areas, everyone says “watch out for illegals and drug runners”. I’ve read many, “is it safe” posts and have seen all the answers from no issues to 100% certainty of death. My question is, for those that hunt these areas regularly - what precautions do you take? I’ve hunted around grizzly bears a few times including Kodiak. I knew what to expect, prepare and react. For this however, I really don’t know how to judge the risk.

I’m also considering bringing my son who will be 16 at that time, but trying to judge if that’s a good idea or not.

Thanks!

No first hand experience with the cartel, but I’ve watched some Netflix..

I’d guess that it’s not in a drug runner’s interest to get sideways with armed Americans if you don’t confront them. You might leave food and water in a conspicuous place near your truck and camp so they’ll take that instead of breaking in to get those things.

1) those easy to draw hunts that took no points in the past were gone this year in the draw.
2) The cartels don’t touch Americans but you can have your hunt interrupted by those crossing the border or border patrol moving through an area. AZGFD recommends leaving food and water outside your vehicle so they take that instead of smashing a window to get in your vehicle.

There was a much higher crossing rate for people and drugs 10-20 years ago(according to USFS and BP personnel who were in the Tucson area then). I've heard it was unusual to see less than 50 people crossing per day for a while.
Now days it's much less common. Most of the traffic has shifted east if I remember correctly.
It's common for BP activity to impact a days plan, but you'd be surprised how close the Blackhawks can get without spooking deer.
As for safety, during the fall seasons the flood of hunters slows border crossings even more.
Be alert and watch for signs of current activity, but personally I don't think the risk should deter people.

I'm in 35A all the time (southern boundary is Mexico/USA). I haven't had any run-ins with border crossers or smugglers, but I have found their trash and other evidence of their travels. I do carry, just in case. If you hunt the fall archery season, load up with snake shot - rattlers are out and about. There are plenty of Border Patrol agents around - they are actually a good source of intel for locating critters. Most of them are friendly and helpful.

A friend video’d one collecting drinking water out of a cattle piss filled dirt tank a week ago, while he was coues hunting 🤮. I’ve ran into them 3 times in the last couple years. Nothing bad has happened yet.

I’m constantly finding their stuff. What makes me the most nervous is climbing up on high points to glass where a scout may be sitting.
I took the below pics yesterday on the pathway north. They’ve got quite the trail and you’ll find a lot of these black jugs.
I carry a handgun and pay attention but I don’t feel like I’m about to be killed or anything.

Attachments

• F7127336-A13D-4458-8DEF-7ADABA7DE47A.jpeg
    F7127336-A13D-4458-8DEF-7ADABA7DE47A.jpeg
    706.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 41416931-4A53-4565-8ECC-25124007509A.jpeg
    41416931-4A53-4565-8ECC-25124007509A.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I go solo and camp within sight of a main road. I've had Border Patrol roll up in the middle of the night and startle me, but haven't had any trouble with the illegals in my little time spent down there.

Maybe this year is unfounded, but I probably would not take my wife and girls on this hunt and leave them unattended at camp. I'm sure they'd be fine, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy my hunting for the worrying.

Will be headed down for the 1st time in December, talked to a few guys who said they’ve hunted those areas for years and never had any problems, it was a worry but now I’m thinking it will all be fine and dandy !! Can’t wait to experience it all!!

Back