Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

"South" Texas Redfish and Trout

Last years freeze really hit em hard. My buddy has a cabin down south in the land cut. Used to go n at night under the lights it would look like u could damn near walk on em there was so many. U would go through ur tackle box n use stuff u had never used just to see if u could catch one on it, or hang ur lure above the water n they would jump out n grab it. Last year…..not so much

I guess to someone from Wisconsin everything in Texas is South :)
When I lived in Texas, I thought of everything north of oklahoma as "The great white north". Now that I live in Kansas it doesn't seem as such

On a side note, as far as eats….sheepshead any day of the week over redfish!!! Pain in the rear to clean though
Yes, this! .. we caught a couple of limits of sheeps recently under the docks and they were better eating than reds or trout. But yes scaly and fairly tough to deal with. Great fighters too

Pretty sure most of a fish’s internet rep is based on ease of preparation, eg the crappie which tastes like any other freshwater fish, but practically filets itself, is high sought after but the white bass less so.

Am I wrong about this?

Psh, you guys crazy. It was definitely in 'south' Texas by means of basic geography :)

View attachment 211547
Texans are proud of their region of the state. I live just west of Corpus and I am torn between Coastal and South. South Texas to me is the brush country of RV. You were/are in the Houston area. Nice job catching some reds. I am hoping to head out to PINS this week, caught some pretty good pompano off the surf last week.

Last edited:
Psh, you guys crazy. It was definitely in 'south' Texas by means of basic geography :)

View attachment 211547
I guess Texans think their part of Texas is bigger and better than even other parts of Texas. Got an uncle from west Texas, I lost interest in his stories when I was told of 18” grasshoppers and how he’s immune to rattlesnake bites. Even the ones that dwarf Pythons. CAB484EE-B3B7-4A7D-8BA4-08A6DD933D44.jpeg

I guess Texans think their part of Texas is bigger and better than even other parts of Texas. Got an uncle from west Texas, I lost interest in his stories when I was told of 18” grasshoppers and how he’s immune to rattlesnake bites. Even the ones that dwarf Pythons. View attachment 211638
Shoot, sounds like he never even told you about the big ones

Trout and redfish are a bucket list trip for me. I need my brother in law in Charleston, SC to buy a boat or find some work trainings in TX…

Trout and redfish are a bucket list trip for me. I need my brother in law in Charleston, SC to buy a boat or find some work trainings in TX…

No need to go to TX, my nephew lives in NC but goes to SC every Fall to catch trout and redfish. But having a boat will help.

I guess Texans think their part of Texas is bigger and better than even other parts of Texas. Got an uncle from west Texas, I lost interest in his stories when I was told of 18” grasshoppers and how he’s immune to rattlesnake bites. Even the ones that dwarf Pythons.

North Texas is the part of the state that is within an hour or so of DFW. If you call the panhandle North Texas the locals will have a fit because everyone knows that Amarillo is West Texas...

Unless your from El Paso. That there is true West Texas, unlike them flatlanders in the panhandle.

The town of West, Texas is actually in the eastern half of the state. But my god do not call that East Texas because everyone knows that terminology is reserved for the pine curtain east of IH45 where the landscape, culture and accents resemble more of the Old South than they do the rest of the lone star state. Pineywoods locals would disagree that Houston and the gulf coast is a part of their region.

If the bbq joints do not have sauce, you are in Central Texas. If they serve tacos and barbacoa, you are in South Texas.

Edit: Another way to tell where you are is if you use the word "Kolache" to refer to something with meat in it, and somebody corrects you, you are in Central Texas. If they don't and they carry on with the conversation, you are still in Texas, just not the central part. If they ask "What is a Kolache" you are probably in kansas.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back