Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

South Dakota NR Archery Hunt

hunting123

Michigan hunter planning on heading out to SD for an archery hunt during September or early October. My main focus will be whitetails but would not pass up a muley if a chance presents itself. From my research, it looks like the Black Hills holds the most whitetails and can be great hunting. However, most of what I've read about the Black Hills has been focused around rut hunting and I realize that my timeframe will be far from the rut. I've been pouring over Onx maps and found quite a bit of good looking WIA or BLM closer to the Missouri River and adjacent to some ag fields. My thought is with my hunt being so early in the season, the deer should still be on a pretty hard bed to feed pattern which could allow for some good hunting on those WIA or BLM pieces.

My question is how is Black Hills hunting in September/ early October and are other parts of the state noticeably better during that timeframe? Any and all input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hunting is good both places, both times of the season. Hike in along the River 2-3 miles and you'll find deer. Hike the ridges in the Hills and you'll find deer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: LCH
Lots of good areas around the river, I like north of chamberlain personally

Plenty of deer both places. Typically smaller deer in the hills compared to along the river. east side of river.

Hunting is good both places, both times of the season. Hike in along the River 2-3 miles and you'll find deer. Hike the ridges in the Hills and you'll find deer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the input! Sounds like it comes down to preference at that point..

We have hunted the river breaks on public land the past 2 seasons. Last year we barely saw a deer but enjoyed some great scenery and saw some dandy bull elk that surprised us. This year we saw quite a few deer but it was still difficult as youth rifle season and youth pheasant was going on, which we didn’t realize. Definitely more archery pressure on public lands this year but it was still a pretty good time. Good luck!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back