Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

South Dakota late archery mule deer

Busyfarmin

Hi I'm new to this forum and thinking about going archery mule deer hunting this December in South Dakota. Would like to know if anyone has any information on this or if it's worth going after rifle season. Not sure what part of the state I will be hunting yet. Any information and opinions are greatly appreciated.

It's tough. I never had much luck after rifle, seems most of the deer are pushed onto private feeding grounds by then. Not to say they aren't there, but it will be a tougher hunt than before rifle season. My experience is in the southwest corner of the state.

Tell us a little about yourself....

There is alot of public land in SD to choose from. You can order a public land hunting atlas through the game and fish website which will cover the entire state. Late season archery in the Dakotas can be brutal if the weather is bad so make sure you have the proper gear. There is a lot of opportunity for someone willing to put in the time and effort. Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm from Minnesota I have hunted in coyotes in sd in December before and the weather can deffinately be nasty! I would like to hunt earlier in the year but am just to busy, so i figured I might as well give it a try and maybe next year I well be able to go earlier.

I held the rez muzzleloader December tag 5 years ago. I was holding out for a big muley in Harding County. Plenty on public land there. zero hunters. Towards the end, the antlers were dropping.

Best of luck.

I'm in the northwest corner of the state if you are heading that way.

Thanks T bone hopefully they still have antlers when I get the and Dakota79 how is the mule deer population there looking this year?

Im a little late to the party but has anyone have any updated information on this? I was thinking of doing the same thing this fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back