South African Hunt - 16 Days of Fun

.308 is ruled out for African plains game?
You can use a .308 for Africa hunting plains game but this outfitter only had .30-06 and .375s. I rented the firearms from the outfitter due to the current bureaucratic uncertainties and ever changing rules instead of transporting my own.

You can use a .308 for Africa hunting plains game but this outfitter only had .30-06 and .375s. I rented the firearms from the outfitter due to the current bureaucratic uncertainties and ever changing rules instead of transporting my own.
Yes, a .308 would work for most plains game. Eland and roan would be the exception. Rent a .375 for them. Sometimes opportunities for longer shots come up so a flatter shooting calibre might be nicer. In August I borrowed my PH's 270 WSM to shoot a kudu at 440 yards. In 2019 I made 30-06 stretch to tag the first kudu at 350 yards. I think a .308 would require a LOT of time at the range getting dialed in for distance.

I took my rifle for both trips but it was a challenge wading through the red tape. It is doable but I don't recommend it.

Congratulations on what appeared to be an awesome trip! Great pictures and trophies all around.

A buddy and i had the itch in the early 2000s then he got divorced, so it didn't happen. I'm researching again and can't seem to shake the urge. Thank you for adding more fuel to the fire.

Back