Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Soups/stews

Hilljackoutlaw

I'm in charge of a soup or stew dinner at camp on the next hunt. Whats some of your favorites? I'll have the amenities of a 5 star kitchen to cook it. Wild game or non wild game recipes welcome. Im currently leaning towards a pheasant soup of some kind.

Venison Italian Soup

Disclaimers: I'm not a soup guy, this turned out more like a chili, or a stew even, nice and thick; and I hate zucchini, but this was GOOD, I did add a little Johny's Seasoning Salt in the end.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb ground venison
2 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 (14.5oz) can stewed tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
1 (15 oz) can green beans
1 (15 oz) can Swanson's beef broth
1 carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
Grated mozzarella cheese
1 (16 oz) package ziti pasta

DIRECTIONS:

1. Fry bacon in soup pan and remove when crispy leaving all of the bacon grease in the pan. Brown the venison, onion and garlic in the bacon grease on medium until meat is no longer pink. Chop the fried bacon and add back to the pot.

2. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and spices, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

3. Stir in beans, carrots and zucchini, simmer covered for 90 minutes.

4. Add pasta and beef broth and cook for another 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.

5. Top individual servings with grated mozzarella cheese and serve with a loaf of fresh Italian bread.

ENJOY!

I make an Italian white bean, sage and sausage soup that everyone likes. You could make it with pheasant sure, but I would also probably add a pound of spicy Italian sausage. Here is the basic recipe you can't really mess it up adding or subtracting ingredients. This is how I would make it if using pheasant:

1. In a large stock pot cook 2 pheasants on low heat until meat pulls off bone.
2. Pick the meat from bone and reserve meat for tacos later or add to soup later. Toss the bones and skin
3. Strain the pheasant stock through cheese cloth into another pot.
4. Cook (brown) one pound of bulk Italian sausage in a large pot breaking it up in the pot...I often use my homemade venison Italian sausage for this
5. Dice a large onion and add to sausage
6. Crush 4 garlic cloves into onion and sausage
7. chop up a good handful of fresh sage and add to the pot
8. add salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to your own linking
9. add 2 cans of cannellini beans with the water in the can
10. Add 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
11. 1/4 bottle dry white wine
12. Add any kind of veggies you like think carrots, kale, cabbage or green beans really whatever you have in the fridge.
13. Add pheasant stock and cook until the veggies are done.
14. Serve with a parmesan cheese, good crusty bread and sage leaf garnish

I'd love to have some potato soup after a hunt. I make mine by dicing some bacon and frying it, reserving a couple tablespoons of grease. Saute onion, carrot, poblano peppers and then minced garlic just at the end. Add flour for a roux and cook it out a little. Add whatever dairy you please (I usually use a mixture of whole milk and buttermilk). Bring to a simmer and add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Could easily substitute the duck with pheasant. I highly recommend.

I guess you could call it a soup or stew. Low country chicken bog. I largely follow Hank Shaw's recipe. I like using pheasant for the stock/meat. It takes some time to render your own broth, but it is so worth doing it the long way rather than just using chicken broth. And the conecuh sausage is the best with it. I've used it for years in boils, and other recipes. I order directly from the company. You won't be disappointed if you've never tried it before.

I'm in AK so have a lot of Halibut and use it a lot of different ways, one of the best is a halibut chowder, if you don't have access to that store-bought clams will work as will walleye, or I'd bet burbot would be good in it as well.

Halibut Chowder:
1lb halibut
5-6 yukon gold spuds
4 cups whole milk
2 cups half and half
8oz cream cheese (softened)
4 slices good, thick-cut bacon, more if you like
1 can sweet corn,drained
1 yellow onion (chopped fine)
1/2 a shallot (chopped fine)
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tbsp each chopped parsley and thyme
1 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
Salt/Pepper to taste (white pepper does well here but black is fine)

Chop bacon and add to a large, deep pot over medium heat. Once bacon is nearly cooked, reduce heat slightly, now add your onion, jalepeno and shallot, cook until the onion is limp and translucent. Add chopped halibut or other proteins, cook until nearly done. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30ish sec). Reduce heat to low for the next several steps as this will prevent scorching your dairy components. Add cream cheese and stir until softened, once it is add your half and half and your milk. Stir to incorporate all ingredients, add your herbs, salt and pepper, and corn at this point. Chop your spuds to the size of your liking. You can add them now if you like, doing so will incorporate some starch to thicken the soup but will also make it a bit more bland, requiring some adjustment to the seasoning, or you can pre-cook the spuds in their own pot and add them towards the end of cooking, then use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup to your liking. If not cooking the spuds with the soup, turn heat up until you maintain a slight simmer, you can combine the spuds once they are just a little undercooked for your taste, add them to the soup, continue to simmer, checking the spuds periodically, once they are done you are ready to serve. If you decide to cook the spuds in the soup you will need to increase the heat a bit, being careful not to bring it up too high as you may scorch your dairy, cook until the spuds are fork tender and you are good to go.

I generally add a bay leaf or two to almost all of my stews but have found that I don't like it in this one, you could add them if you like.

As with any soup, the longer it cooks the better the flavors meld.

Last edited:
@AKbruin very similar to how I make mine, but I use butter instead of cream cheese (not 8oz though, I'm heart conscience :D, more like 4). I'm going to try this out this weekend. I haven't' tried with a jalapeno before.

I make salmon chowder very similarly, but exclude the bacon and add a couple dashes of worcestershire, and fresh lemon and dill.

We eat a lot of chowder as well, more so because we have a lot of fish, but the family also loves it. I'll make huge batches and freeze for easy dinners or lunches.

Hard to be a good chicken noodle soup. Extremely easy cook with only a handful of ingredients too...

I use boneless skinless chicken thighs just for the ease and time savings of pulling or chopping the meat when the time comes but here's my recipe...

A couple pounds of chicken meat or a whole chicken of you choose..
1 diced onion
2-3 diced celery stalks
2-3 diced carrots
Enough chicken broth to cover ingredients or half chicken broth half water if you'd like, or you ran out of broth..
1 lbs egg noodles

Start your diced veggies in the pot with some oil until onions turn translucent.

Throw in your chicken and cover contents of pot with chicken broth/water. Simmer/low boil for an hour or so..

Remove chicken pieces to pull/chop then put back into your soup. Bring soup back to a boil. Add your egg noodles right into the soup to cook for another 10 mins or done.

Add salt, pepper, parsley, cayenne as needed or wanted.

@AKbruin very similar to how I make mine, but I use butter instead of cream cheese (not 8oz though, I'm heart conscience :D, more like 4). I'm going to try this out this weekend. I haven't' tried with a jalapeno before.

I make salmon chowder very similarly, but exclude the bacon and add a couple dashes of worcestershire, and fresh lemon and dill.

We eat a lot of chowder as well, more so because we have a lot of fish, but the family also loves it. I'll make huge batches and freeze for easy dinners or lunches.
Love me some salmon chowder. I'll be making kind of a seafood pho over Christmas making seafood stock from prawn and crab shells excited to see how that comes out. Also, I bet if you subbed the bacon for prosciutto it could be a game changer for the chowder.

I'm in AK so have a lot of Halibut and use it a lot of different ways, one of the best is a halibut chowder, if you don't have access to that store-bought clams will work as will walleye, or I'd bet burbot would be good in it as well.

Halibut Chowder:
1lb halibut
5-6 yukon gold spuds
4 cups whole milk
2 cups half and half
8oz cream cheese (softened)
4 slices good, thick-cut bacon, more if you like
1 can sweet corn,drained
1 yellow onion (chopped fine)
1/2 a shallot (chopped fine)
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tbsp each chopped parsley and thyme
1 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
Salt/Pepper to taste (white pepper does well here but black is fine)

Chop bacon and add to a large, deep pot over medium heat. Once bacon is nearly cooked, reduce heat slightly, now add your onion, jalepeno and shallot, cook until the onion is limp and translucent. Add chopped halibut or other proteins, cook until nearly done. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30ish sec). Reduce heat to low for the next several steps as this will prevent scorching your dairy components. Add cream cheese and stir until softened, once it is add your half and half and your milk. Stir to incorporate all ingredients, add your herbs, salt and pepper, and corn at this point. Chop your spuds to the size of your liking. You can add them now if you like, doing so will incorporate some starch to thicken the soup but will also make it a bit more bland, requiring some adjustment to the seasoning, or you can pre-cook the spuds in their own pot and add them towards the end of cooking, then use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup to your liking. If not cooking the spuds with the soup, turn heat up until you maintain a slight simmer, you can combine the spuds once they are just a little undercooked for your taste, add them to the soup, continue to simmer, checking the spuds periodically, once they are done you are ready to serve. If you decide to cook the spuds in the soup you will need to increase the heat a bit, being careful not to bring it up too high as you may scorch your dairy, cook until the spuds are fork tender and you are good to go.

I generally add a bay leaf or two to almost all of my stews but have found that I don't like it in this one, you could add them if you like.

As with any soup, the longer it cooks the better the flavors meld.
I happen to of come in possession of some halibut recently. Traded some deer and elk for it.

You guys are making this a tough choice. Soninsent the link of the recipes to the group and put it to a vote. You can bet all these will be tried at home over the next year tho. Thanks.

Made Gumbo in the Instant Pot last night. The Pressure Cooker takes all the simmering time out so you can do Crock pot recipes when you forget to plan ahead...It was truly a one pot meal.

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/instant-pot-gumbo/

Now I had to substitute a few shakes of Tabasco and another can of Diced Tomatoes for the Rotel Tomatoes (with green chilis) in the recipe above because I didn't read my shopping list right. I think that is more authentic but I dunno. My lady really liked it. You could use any game bird in place of the chicken I reckon

Double the sausage, replace 2 cups of the half and half with heavy cream, and go heavy on potatoes.

My wife makes a version like this. Good stuff.

I make a similar soup. Agree on the extra sausage (or some bacon) and I cube the potatoes. Its the only time I eat kale.

I make a similar soup. Agree on the extra sausage (or some bacon) and I cube the potatoes. Its the only time I eat kale.
This is one of my favorites. I was skeptical the first time I made it when I read the word "kale" too, but it tastes just fine cooked into the broth. Extra sausage is the only way to go, especially with all the veggies in it. I prefer using rutabaga to potatoes.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back