PEAX Equipment

Sooner or later

Gkalk

Curious what others think... If you have a season where the hunting pressure is heavy during the first half from shear number of hunters, and the second half you have to deal with less human traffic, but heavily pressured animals and possible significant weather changes... which would you prefer to hunt ? Basically, do you prefer hunting with a lot of other hunters in the field, or do you prefer hunting with fewer hunters but heavily pressured animals.
I get that many may say it doesn't matter, just get our there and hunt, and agreed, however given the choice what would you do ?

Archery or rifle. Archery is a little different because of the rut. For rifle, I agree with Randy that early or late in the season can be especially productive. He was just talking about this on a recent podcast.

Rifle. Yep, makes sense that either would work, depends on your prep for sure. For the early season being able to set up based on hunting pressure. i.e. knowing where the elk will 'exit the scene', could provide opportunity. Late, weather would come into play as well as sanctuaries. BUT, if you had to pick one hunt opportunity, early or late in the season, what would it be ?

Depends on where, season dates of each, the limitations on your tag, season length, whether you can scout or not, etc. etc. etc.

Too broad of a question.

I'm lucky to be able to take a lot of time off during the whole season here in Saskatchewan. I adjust my style of hunting for the time of year, normally, during archery I will pretty much have the area to myself. Moving on to muzzle loader, there is a little more hunters in the woods, mainly guys who drew moose or elk tags and get to rifle hunt, but other than that, there are very few deer hunters hunting with the smoke pole.

Once rifle season hits I change my style but it still doesn't change the amount of deer I see, for one, the rut is on and the bucks move like crazy. The other hunters tend to get the deer moving even more, sure sometimes they mess up your set, but they will also push deer your way...

Obviously my example is for deer as that is mainly what I hunt but I think it still applies to other species...

Thanks guys.
A few more details, realizing there are many, many factors to consider. Assume e-scouting, rifle season, mid Oct to early Nov 20 day season, Either sex tag... in general, if you had to pick one... 1) do you prefer hunting with a bunch of hunters where the elk are scattered and on the move OR 2) with fewer hunters but the elk are secluded. All other things being the same.

IMO, the answer is based off of your knowledge of the area.

Early Questions
Do you know where the elk are opening morning? Can you get there first? Do other people know about this spot?

Late Questions
Do you know where the elk go after they have been pushed? Do you know where they go when weather hits?

If you know where they are at all times, then go whenever you want. I like going opening weekend, but like to go where no one else will go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back