Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Soon there will be no escape

I think the expanded connectivity just hastens the development of rural and wild lands, and speeds the crowding in previously uncrowded places. Limited connectivity limited the length of time people would stay. Now, there aren’t any limits. Places people previously found only suitable for a brief camping trip are now suitable for long-term habitation. I get that there are upsides, but I think in the long-run it is just another nail in the coffin for wild places and solitude.

The invention of the wheel ruined everything.

I don't get the people that go on vacation and set of their "Out of Office" notification to say "I'll have limited access to phone/e-mail." Then return every e-mail within 30 minutes. What's the point of your vacation Tom?

I mean hell, I set mine to say "I'm in the mountains, if it's an emergency call someone else, otherwise I'll deal with it when I get back."

I'm cool with momma being able to get ahold of me over the InReach, she knows that's just checking in and emergencies only. My unplugged time is golden.
This is how we handle it too. If there is truly an emergency, the wife can get ahold of me, but no one else can 🤣

I'd text him one ,but it don't wurk heya.
Besides, you should see the photo of my GGF and name sake. Makes me look like........Stocker.

There was a repeater up on Mangas Mtn in the distance there. No mas.
I don't gots the millions, but I gots the view. IMHO

For me, I enjoy being dropped off on a remote lake with nothing and nobody around. I can get text when a satellite passes over. So if you need to communicate do a text n set the phone down for an hour or so.
I generally leave everything at the cabin n just go. And be on my own

We've got starlink and it's been a game changer for rural America. The internet isn't just streaming youtube videos of cats, it's how the majority of Americans work these days.

Rural broadband is a massive issue in terms of economic prosperity for rural America. Yeah, it sucks that there's thousands of satellites in the sky, but this is free market capitalism at work. The Infrastructure bill has billions for broad band expansion in rural places, so it's either starlink or fiber optics cables buried under the ground - but connectivity is coming.

That in and of itself isn't the death knell of quiet places. You can still manage and regulate, and you can still elect not to participate. As others mentioned - your phone does turn off.

Before kids I didn't really give it much thought. Now that I have 3 little ones it is a huge peice of mind to just know that all is good. There's usually at least once a day up on ridge or high enough elevation that my phone will buzz and we'll message quick just checking in letting each other know everyone's all good.

I've definitely been in places tho that I've been like well if something happens no one will ever know and the chances of just coming across even my truck would be pretty slim. Giving some more thought on the inreach just for that piece of mind and to be able to send a quick message at night. When it comes to the kids I'm kind of a worry wart, but they take after me and I did a lot of crazy chit when I was a kid.

To me there is a big difference between telling my client “I will be in northern British Columbia for 12 days. There will not be any cell phone service during this entire time“ versus “I’m going up to Canada, and While I could choose to make myself available to you, your business simply is not that important to me.”

I’m glad there’s Starlink and I plan to subscribe to it when I get something put on my rural property. The part where there’s always service on your cell that this article describes is what I’m not stoked on.
When I got back from a sheep hunt a couple weeks ago and turned on my phone it vibrated and made noises for so long and it could’ve won some kind of a musical award, while simultaneously helping half of the world‘s women solve any struggles they might have a achieving climax. It’s so nice to leave that behind for a while without the option or ability to do anything else.

Thats pretty much just for solo adventures and when doing risky chit, it'll be a damn shame when we all can't go somewhere with no service or people just know that there is service everywhere so it'll be unacceptable to just fug off.

Before kids I didn't really give it much thought. Now that I have 3 little ones it is a huge peice of mind to just know that all is good. There's usually at least once a day up on ridge or high enough elevation that my phone will buzz and we'll message quick just checking in letting each other know everyone's all good.

I've definitely been in places tho that I've been like well if something happens no one will ever know and the chances of just coming across even my truck would be pretty slim. Giving some more thought on the inreach just for that piece of mind and to be able to send a quick message at night. When it comes to the kids I'm kind of a worry wart, but they take after me and I did a lot of crazy chit when I was a kid.

An inreach is well worth getting.

To me there is a big difference between telling my client “I will be in northern British Columbia for 12 days. There will not be any cell phone service during this entire time“ versus “I’m going up to Canada, and While I could choose to make myself available to you, your business simply is not that important to me.
Yup that'll suck, I've thought about it a lot. Back in the days of landlines it was pretty much you talked to someone while they were home or left a message. If your out your out, you'll talk later. If it was really important youd send some mail. Now we have a phone/computer/Email in our pockets. It can be a little overwhelming at times. The G thing to do would just be get rid of your cell phone, have a business line for set hrs. Go back to a landlines and answering machine. Send letters. That's the anti tech revolution. But get an inreach for when your really need it lol. It would be nice.

To me there is a big difference between telling my client “I will be in northern British Columbia for 12 days. There will not be any cell phone service during this entire time“ versus “I’m going up to Canada, and While I could choose to make myself available to you, your business simply is not that important to me.”

I’m glad there’s Starlink and I plan to subscribe to it when I get something put on my rural property. The part where there’s always service on your cell that this article describes is what I’m not stoked on.
When I got back from a sheep hunt a couple weeks ago and turned on my phone it vibrated and made noises for so long and it could’ve won some kind of a musical award, while simultaneously helping half of the world‘s women solve any struggles they might have a achieving climax. It’s so nice to leave that behind for a while without the option or ability to do anything else.
Some of the problem is peoples expectations have changed. They/the customer, family, friends, etc. expect instant communication. The world functioned just fine without all the instant communication 40 years ago. It still does. Shut the phones off and try it. Most people think what they do or what others need is that damn important(I’m guilty) they can’t be away. Most of the time it can wait or someone else can handle it while your gone. (Running your own business and being away was hard 40 years ago so that hasn’t changed. Probably won’t until ai robots or clones are invented.). Batteries don’t last forever. Shut your phone off to conserve battery, it’s a good excuse at least except if you use onyx than airplane mode it.

When I’m out recreating, I always put my phone in airplane mode. I can keep my bearings and navigate with OnX and GoHunt (currently have both, can’t decide on which one I like more), but I’m not bothered by the constant emails, texts, and calls that bombard me every day.

I do use an InReach for emergencies and piece of mind for my wife.

I still find tons of dead zones in MT, however, they are getting smaller every year.

Back