Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sons last day gobbler!

338 win mag

We've hunted pretty hard this year in NC trying to get my 9 year old a Turkey this year. Walked 4-5 miles every Saturday and he stuck right with me on some pretty rough hikes. He has killed 2 birds on the last 2 opening days. Yesterday was a last ditch effort to get it done, as the season came to an end. About 4:30 yesterday afternoon we finally had success. We had setup on a field for the afternoon and I would call softly every 15 minutes or so. After a while, leaned back against a pine tree, I began to dose off. About that time he says "daddy, a turkey." He had slipped in on us silently. He closed the distance to 40 yards. I told my son he better shoot before the tom lost interest and left. After all that he couldnt get the safety off on his Mossberg! The turkey put his head down and I quicky took his gun and flipped the safety off then handed it back to him. At 42 yards he dropped the hammer and the rest is history! Not sure which one of us was more excited.
20200509_195048.jpg IMG_20200509_195741_586.jpg

That's awesome congrats to him. We have tried all season to get my buddies 11 year old on a bird unsuccessfully. It's been tough

That's awesome congrats to him. We have tried all season to get my buddies 11 year old on a bird unsuccessfully. It's been tough
I've had buddies that seemed to tag out easily but it seemed this year every bird we got on had a hen with him

Very cool, congrats! My 10 year old daughter and I hunted new Mexico turkey all season long. We were unable to harvest one but still had a great time.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back