Son's First Waterfowl Hunt

elkrchr

My son is 11 and can finally comfortably shoulder the .870 20 gauge we bought him last year. A good friend of mine owns a 40 acre hazelnut orchard with a small slough running through part of it. At some point during the season, several dozen wood ducks will show up. He gave me a call and told me to bring Wyatt down to try his luck jump shooting ducks. The first time we went down Wyatt fired two shots and dropped two wood ducks, one of which we were unable to recover as the dog was unable to get into the maze of blowdowns that it landed in.

Later that week my friend called and said the wood ducks had returned. Saturday morning we drove down early in the morning and repeated the process. One shot was fired, one beautiful drake was recovered. I'm going to have the pair mounted for him. Kudos to the state of Oregon for allowing youth ages 9-12 to hunt under the Mentored Youth Program!

IMG_0798.jpgDSC07616.jpgIMG_0802.jpg

He'll treasure that forever. Glad to see more kids get into waterfowling. Look to put in for swan here in MT. Then mount THAT bird!

Beautiful birds. Well done. Apparently he's much better with a shotgun than I am. I can't shoot at a duck without emptying my gun...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back