Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Son's first elk hunt

CUElk

Hey Guys; Let me first say that I have been reading post from this site for the past year and I have learned more about elk hunting from you guys than from any book, magazine, or website by far. Thanks. I am from the southeast and try to make it out west every other year to hunt elk, we have hunted Montana several times and New Mexico once. My oldest son has been begging to go on a hunt so I am trying to plan a trip for next year. Through a lot of research and talking with friends I believe I have decided on a drop camp in Colorado for his first hunt. I chose a Colorado drop camp for a couple of reasons; first of all we can drive out without him missing too much school and second, I cannot think of better first elk experience than a drop camp. The reason for this post is to pick your brain a little for suggestions. I believe I have settled on the flat top wilderness for the drop camp. I have talked with and corresponded with several outfitters and narrowed my choices. I would like some input from yall with some suggestions on outfitters that you have used or that were recommended to you. Or if you want to suggest another area/outfitter I am open to that as well. I do not want to ask for anything without offering some southern hospitality. I have plenty of private land here in the south for whitetail hunting as well as guide hog hunting with dogs. If you western fellas want to come over this way for a hunt do not hesitate to contact me. thanks for the help.

REALLY! That's a pretty big leap SWMontana1.

Jay here is a link to a drop camp hunt by a fellow hunttalker. That's awesome that your taking your son on an adventure like that.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261130&highlight=Bigeasygator

You're right. I let my own opinions get in the way. It is GREAT that he is getting his son out in the field and spending quality father/son time. For most of us, hunting are some of the fondest memories we have shared with our parents/kids/family. Things are different when kids are involved, I failed to acknowledge that.

Hope you can get your son on some elk and get him addicted like the rest of us are!

With only a few days of elk hunting under my belt, I am of no help with your question. Good luck to you and your son, and it's great that you guys get to spend that time together!
Also, welcome to the forum from a fellow southeasterner!

thanks for the PMs and post guys; Summithunting, I spoke with bigeasygator and he was very helpful; here are a few of the outfitters I was looking into, just wondering if anyone out there has experience with any of them or has a friend that used them; would appreciate any input; thanks again:
J Bar H Outfitters
Sable Mountain Outfitters
Eagles Nest Outfitting
Pack Sting Outfitters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back