Sometimes

Nut

success isnt measured by bringing home game.

Since the father in law is in the hospital we stayed closer to home ( 1 hour drive instead of 4). I honestly didnt expect to even see 1 deer today because of what is the norm for NW Ohio public lands. However I was proven wrong in my expectations.

TE and I get to the same spot he and LittleNut got a deer last fall during gun week(This weekend was youth gun)we walk in 1/2 mile back and get set up 40 minutes before sunrise.
Well 5 minutes after sunrise the cars are going up and down the roads and then we see some orange coming to our area. Yep I expected this. They set up about 150 yards away but they came in the area the wrong way putting their scent all over the way the deer would possibly come in. But I still stay there with Codie since he wanted to. We finally leave and when we turn the corner on the path to go to car he sees a deer a split second after it sees us. The gig is up before it starts. Funny thing is the deer was 50 yards away from my van. :rolleyes:

So we go and find another area and see a deer getting chased by dogs in a farmers field. Well I didnt help matters much by pretending to try to hit it as it went across the road in front me. :eek: :D

Go to the area and we end up seeing even more deer but they are too far away for my shotgun(TE decided to use it) But they were fun to watch anyways.

Then this afternoon it looked like everybody left to watch the Ohio State Michigan game. So we did some walking (ouch my feet hurt) We spy 2 deer crossing a creek 100 yards ahead of us. So we try to go after em. Well that didnt work since they vanished into this air. ;)

Then right at the end of shooting time I see 3 deer right at the next area we would have tried. Then while parked and talking we end up having 2 more deer crossing the road 40 yards from us LOL.

Spending the time with a son and being able share thoughts and lessons learned this was a fun day.

PS.... now if the buck that was making the rubs we saw showed up it might have been a even better day.

time with your boy, priceless.

That is great Nut.....it's always a blessing when we get some quality time with the kids.......gotta love it....

So did you learn anything from him ?? ;)

Sore FEET ? Welcome to hunting "western" style ;) I thought you stated in another post you were Planting the butt in a Treestand ?

Congrats on the Good hunt !!

Well the afternoon hunt went okay I guess. We ended up jumping 2 deer up but TE didnt have a chance for a shot. I saw em first and would have had a chance but I was without a gun.(adults could not hunt only assist while with a youth hunting deer)

I also was reminded why I had been driving 4 hours one way to do most of our hunting. Way too much orange to make me comfortable. Way too many people not caring that you are in a area already. Way too many people,,,,,etc etc etc. ;)

CODIEPICKEREL.jpg

Back